12.29.2009

{ top10 / o'nine }

i recently mentioned that my family loves tradition ~ but our 'traditions' aren't terribly 'traditional.' one of our favorite things to do is come up with nonsense words/sayings and integrate them into our shared daily lives.

last year, my brother painstakingly put together an illustrated dictionary of our familial inside-slang, called 'the dictionary of dude' {note: we call our patriarch 'dude' instead of dad}. anyway.... one of my favorites from among the family vernacular is 'TOP10,' which is officially defined as follows:

---
TOP10 -adjective [top-ten]: 1. particularly noteworthy 2. indicating the great value of an artistic work (rarely related to or synonymous with any actual list, either real or imagined) EX: "did i like it? dude, it was top10."
---

we use this phrase a lot ~ as in: 'wow, those enchiladas mom made tonight were totally TOP10.' or, 'OMG, that skirt is so TOP10; you have to buy it!'

although, by definition, 'TOP10' rarely bears any relation to real numbers, i thought that ~ as we come to the conclusion of my first full year of costume blogging ~ it would be fun to actually outline TEN of my favorite 2009 costumerlies {click any pic to jump to its original post}:

bette davis eyes {left}: eleven months later, i still love the combination of this balenciaga dress + self-made fur chubbie / the last glamourai {right}: this pic represents how i felt this year ~ like i finally became a 'real' new yorker (it took a few)

i love short shirts {left}: my preferred proportions of 2009 ~ the crop top + pouf skirt / cyberpunk gypsy {right}: this top is so special that i only wear it about once every year ~ but it's easily one of my most TOP10 pieces!

bands of bling {left} & on a jet plane {right}: this was THE year of the pouf-pleated harem pant. thus, they deserve a double mention.

among my favorite designs of 2009: twinkle toes {left} & glamourwraps {right}

my top2 of the top10 head-to-toe looks: hair, bare, and every wear {left} & two tone / new tone {right}

finally, because i have a hard time playing favorites in my own wardrobe {and because the definition of 'TOP10' is so fluid}, honorable mentions belong here, here, here, here... and HERE

---

and that, mes sœurs, is my style in 2009! big thanks to those readers who have been following long enough to remember them all!

which was your favorite? did i leave anything out that you really loved? have you any words of wisdom for the new year?

50 comments:

Jen Hsieh said...

i absolutely love all of those looks, i especially love two tone/new tone though, those pants are fantastic with the jacket :)

InnyVinny said...

Fantastic recap my darling dear. =D It's great to see the highlights all in one post.

You've thrown me back into craving a pair of palazzos...maybe I'll make it a NY's resolution...

Chelsea said...

uh-mazing recap. love it!

my-life-in-style.blogspot.com

Charmalade said...

Top10 was so Top10! My favorite is always The Last Glamourai, it's pure genius in layering-- marvelous!

The Sound of Lace said...

My favorite in order are: the short shirt with the voluminous skirt (because I'm always afraid of putting volume with volume, but you've shown me not to be!) the harem pants (cause I've always been partial to them) and the dress from Mexico (GREAT DIY).

follow me to
thesoundoflace.blogspot.com

Eveliina said...

bell-bottom-blues was my favourite.
And the words of wisdom is a quote:

May you live all the days of your life!

<3 -p-
http://anotherfabday.blogspot.com

"coy" colleen said...

this is a great post! i absolutely love your style, you wear those harem pants/everything so well!

zoe. xox said...

Really good post, i love all of them. But the kinda 'feathered' top is gorgeous!

MELISSA Z. said...

Great! You've an unique style and I love it!

www.abitoffashion.com

Susan said...

oh gosh, you always look amazing!
happy new year to you.
xoxo

ChristingC said...

love this timeline of your style! you look fab in every look, and the boy and i def have our own "slang" haha!! thought it was just us :-)

http://fashionhedonism.blogspot.com

Mały Kosmos said...

great style, great blog & great girl :D

ps. happy new year!:)

Glam ma said...

These are great, but I really loved the Holly GoLightly look you did recently.

Silvestre said...

love this post! always great cloths and accessories!

xoxo

Une étincelle de mode said...

Totally in love of your outfit "on te je plane"!!

http://etincelledemode.blogspot.com/

MerciBlahBlah said...

GREAT post. My faves in order are:
1. Hauet Huipil - I am SO going to DIY one of those dresses in the spring.
2. Salt & Pepper - because I lurve the kimono
3. The Last Glamourai - elll-ohhh-veee-eeee the combination of patterns in that look

HOWEVAH, my favey crockett of all the Glamourai looks is your vintage blue velvet jacket with the tapestry cuffs and fox fur collar. Sigh. I DIE for that one.

Words of wisdom from my favorite quote of all time:

"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
- Willy Wonka

Mwah! Have a glamourous New Year!
Merci,
Shannan

Unknown said...

I never saw the last look, bottom right...LOVE the navy wide legs and that jacket is amazing. I truly enjoy your blog, can't wait to see all the great things you come up with in 2010!

The Village Idiot said...

i have been reading this blog now for a bout a year and it has been so inspiring seeing all of your costumes- no one can ever peg you- you have such an amzing fashion sense that doesn't fit into just one genre.
you are def. a "fancy" girl!
happy new year! i can't wait to see the looks in 2010!

Katie said...

Love your chic pairing of different neutrals in on a jet plane...and the "puff bag" keeps it fun! Always inspiring ensembles!

cashmere jumpers said...

Awesome pics! I love these outfits!

sarahannnoel said...

I love all the outfits, but even more I love the stories about your family--it's fun to get a peek into your life. (Plus, this sounds like something my family does, and I'm almost contemplating the Kincheloe family dictionary. Darling!)

Maria Tavares said...

DAMN!!! This clothes are fantastic ;D

Nickie Frye said...

Gosh, it's hard to chose a favorite. I really like "on a jet plane". If I saw you on the street, I'd be like WOAH! But I really love those navy blue pants from "two tone/new tone". You have an amazing style. I rarely say this. Now that I'm a stay at home mom I don't get to dress up as much as I used to, but I'm still pretty persnickety about these things. ;)

(always)alanna said...

remember every single look- gorgeous girl!
especially the glamour wraps- lovee all the black. and those colinstuart heels below are killer! gorgeousss
xx

Kellie said...

Every single one of these outfits is amazing! I especially love the first two! You have such a perfect sense of style! :)

http://playingdressupwithkellie.blogspot.com/

Whimsy said...

You have such amazing,electic style and stunning wardrobe!!
My favs are those puff harem pants...which I can't seem to figure out if they look good or they just look good on you!

-whimsy
www.littlemisswhimsy.com

Unknown said...

i love these pictures!!
woww perfect style!!



follow you



kisses&hugs





beaa



http://bailando-en-una-maceta.blogspot.com/

Aline said...

the last glamourai is my favorite...i even have it printed on my inspiration board in my bathroom...you are the only blogger on it!

Birdie! said...

Twinkle Toes, and that AMAZING set 'o' wide legs trousers totally caught my eye.

Anonymous said...

Go girlfriend with your individual style, fancy n all for 2010!!!.

Absolutely love reading your blog -& like one of your other readers mentioned above, you're certainly a one-of-a-kind inspiration for fashion and style. Looking forward to a dose of daily glamour in 2010!.

Happy New Year btw!

LACY said...

such a lovely top10 but i have to say that one of my fave outfits was the one where you wore the vintage gold looking headphones, they were awesome :)

lacysmess.blogspot.com

Friend in Fashion said...

The first two looks are my absolute favourite! :)

www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com
xx

jennivee said...

hope you dont mind but i just have to take that top10 in to use :D priceless!

MELISSA Z. said...

You've a great sensew of style! All your outfits are awesome!

www.abitoffashion.com

Dith said...

Gosh I am so obsessed with everything New York! Lovely photos!

For the new year, I say surround yourself with positivity!

Susu Paris Chic said...

I adore your sense of chic and I couldn't possibly choose a fave one! But I will go on saying that I prefer you in a dress!

I'm glad I found your blog this by-gone year. Your posts inspire this Paris mademoiselle;)

A big chic Paris hug from me!

The Photodiarist said...

Love them all, truly! But Nos. 1,2,4,8 and 10 are my faves.

Happy New Year.

Adeline said...

your blog is so cool!first time i visit,totally inspiring,totally linking you!

Katy said...

I heart haute hipil! Not that you don't look AMAZING and inspiring in every outfit, but those lace-up Louboutins!! GAAAAHHHH.

Ashley said...

Amazing post. You've got such fabulous style!!

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Great post- love all your outfits. It must've been hard to choose just 10! I am going to feature this is my New Year's edition of Friday Faves wrap up tomorrow :)

Happy new year!
-Jaime
laviejaime.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I admire your style -- it pushes conventional limits yet works wonderfully. My favorite item is the harem pant, which you pull off so well. Next favorite is the two tone/new tone which has real sophistication. Best wishes for 2010!

Nadia said...

i love your leopard bag !

selena said...

how excellent! i love lists! my fave outfits of yours listed would have to be the new yorker one and the on a jet plane one. I LOVE the whole combination of your gorgeous necklace, drapey black top and harem pants [the colour is wonderful!].

did you ever post on the magazine images from that shoot, or did i just miss them on your site? would love to see them!

all the best for 2010!

xxx

www.dearselena.com

THE DIVINITUS said...

oh yes the black top is fantastic.

Unknown said...

YOU ARE BEAUTIFEL

Anonymous said...

I LOVED "on a jet plane". You deserve some type of fashion award for pairing volume with volume and STILL having a sleek female shape! I'm still scratching my head on it.

Birte said...

I LOVE the last glamourai because of the crazy layering and plethora of prints that are all different but somehow work so well together.

TheGlamourai said...

* when this site switched servers, all comments on this post were lost. i sincerely apologize for the inconveniece. your input is important to me and to this blog! *

xoxoGlamourai

Furniture Stores Burbank said...

Fabulous outfits.