3.22.2011

{ tvland }


recently, producers from the nate berkus show contacted me about doing a feature on my apartment. one thing led to another, and the next thing i knew i was co-piloting an episode about translating your personal style into your home's decor, and given free reign to redesign a viewer's space (with a budget of only $1200!) to better reflect her fashion sense. the episode aired yesterday, but you can check out some highlights in the clips below:












UPDATERY: to answer a few reader questions, the stores i took cat to were ugly luggage & junk (both in williamsburg, brooklyn). the top i wore on the show is from aaron ashe and the skirt is shulami (via modcloth // it first appeared in THIS POST).

97 comments:

Natasha said...

So innovative! Just brilliant!

Kaleido Mind said...

you were great on the show--a true professional!!

Amber's Notebook said...

omg you were great and your apartment is gorgeous! Congratulations!!
Amber's Notebook

Natasha said...

Oh, question - could you please post the name of the store or market you were shopping in? I'll be doing a play in NYC from June - September and when I'm not rehearsing I intend to do a lot of shopping!

Adrianna Traxler said...

How exciting!! You did so great and i love what you came up with, it's so great that you have been really successful with your blog & that your able to showcase your style through interior design.

Stacey Campbell said...

I loved seeing "live" pictures of your apartment and workspace and you did a great job of redecorating that viewer's space. Congratulations. You were great.

Impetuous Style said...

Style and home decor definitely go hand in hand. What an accomplishment, congratulations!

http://impetuousstyle.com

alice said...

congratulations kelly! incredible job!!

where were you all shopping? it looked like JUNK in brooklyn, but a sign said luggage...?

Jennibun said...

Kelly.. You have no idea how much this has inspired me! I feel like I am in the same shoes you were in when you posted about how you couldn't decide on a major, and to see that you are doing everything you wanted helps me push harder, and continue!

I majored in Interior Design before but for some reasons, was not able to finish. You give me hope to continue with my dreams! Thank You!

P.S. I wasn't able to talk to you when I saw you at the Texas Style Council, but hopefully next time! Until then!

Rococo said...

How cool is this!! Congratulations, you did such a great job. So inspiring, I've never thought about putting my fashion sense into a room - I'll definitely keep this in mind when I'm decorating in the future. :)

http://rococo-blog.blogspot.com/

Hannah said...

This was so fun to watch! You did an amazing job on the room and you presented it and explained everything so beautifully. Great job, Kelly!

NattyPar said...

I knew that living space looked familiar...hah! I frequent your blog and have it bookmarked on my computer. Love the blog and I think you did a great job on the show! Keep inspiring us Girlfriend!

HUMANITYISBEAUTIFUL said...

oh, no, no adobe flash player :( i am sure it was wonderful! i am now in the process of decorating and you are definitely a source of inspiration :)))

The Vixen said...

Hi Kelly,
could you share where you went to find all those interesting vases and lamps?
I am moving to a new apartment with a roommate and we desperately need to go furniture shopping!

-Amy

Mandy said...

How awesome! I love seeing unique styles translated into rooms.

xoxo
Mandy of Kini Style Files

fairy said...

Have just seen video 1 & it's great to see you in action - for once the video didn't stop half=way through. Am going out to walk dog & be back to see video 2 soon!

Anonymous said...

always such a fan!
keep the inspiration coming!

-COSMICaroline
COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your success kelly! this was so wonderful to see you interacting and doing what you love! you sounded so professional and articulate! congratulations again!

JRDM designs & photography said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Unknown said...

Kelly, love that you've made a success out of simply being you. Such an inspiration...no games, no gimmicks, pure talent. Bravo- Congrats!!

Xo-Julie

Brigadeiro said...

Absolutely BRILLIANT, Kelly! Congrats on the feature!
xx

TheChambrayCountess said...

Great work! I love that you made the table work :)

Kairi Kuuskmann said...

I would loooovve to go shopping with you :D! Anyway firts you did such an amazing job, and well, ...lets face it i shed a little tear too( more like sobbing ):)! You are such cool person and you have wonderful style! Looking forward for more! ;)


http://kairikuuskmann.blogspot.com/

Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries said...

WOW Kelli! You did an amazing job... now you are a major superstar!!!! She is so sweet... ah it must feel so good to make someone so happy! :D
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

ane pixestos said...

I really enjoy this kind of TV viewing, which was made that much more interesting because it featured you, and you did a really great job in the execution.
When I first started reading your blog, I so enjoyed the movie lists and other inspirational links - and today's video excerpt joins the ranks of those posts which constitute the reason why I so enjoy your blog. Wishing you every success in your endeavours, Greta.

FairyFiligree said...

Great videos - enjoyed every minute and now got to see you in action - not just a picture on the blog. Loved the idea of putting jewellery in glass containers. Actually most of mine is in boxes - all hidden away!!

Caddy said...

GREAT JOB! Congratulations!

Elly TOU said...

Hi Kelly! I've been following your blog & I just have to comment about this particular post! I just love your idea of putting jewellery out in display & make them into pieces of art. You should do more post like this (interior design)! Truly inspirational! :)

jessica january said...

wow, how exciting! you're getting new opportunities every where you look! you did a great job! i love the glassware collection the best

january, x
jessicajanuary.com

KimChicSisters said...

looks great!


http://kimchicsisters.blogspot.com/2011/03/cat-eyed.html

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samantha said...

Congratulations, Kelly, You are obviously talented across many spheres.

GRIT AND GLAMOUR said...

Fantastic! You did an amazing job, Kelly. Not only are your seriously talented, your are so very elegant and poised. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of you on TV.

Congratulations!

••V••
www.gritandglamour.com
@gritandglamour

Teckie said...

Wow! You looked beautiful, and what a fantastic job you did on her room! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

yes, it's so true...
the way you take care of your outfit or your house tell a lot about yourself
we let our flat in stand by and sometimes i find that our life is in stand by !!
it's just a question of priority
i'm mum of two little children and i stay at home with them until march next year...so i don't work anymore and in that time we should buy a biggest flat but we can't...
just to explain not to complain ;))
great job from you by the way !!

Amy said...

I loved how you were truly able to read her style. What a different approach to interior decor. Most decorators have a "signature look". You used color and style very different from your own and gave something very special to the home owner. You were so complimentary to her. An inspiration!

Halle said...

My favorite was the coffee table and the transformation. Great job!

Emijaa Jaaemil said...

Great work doll... definitely doing big things!

Stay blessed!

www.emijaajaaemil.com

Emijaa Jaaemil

Bohemian Life said...

I absolutely agree, youre place reflects your pesonality, same as the clothes does :)
You have to feel comfortable in that space...i like this show you´ve appeared in! :)

Jessie said...

how cool! i love the setting as well. good job! that's amazing.

http://wordbyjessie.com/

The Purse-a-holic said...

Congrats! this was a great feature, you did awesome :-)

Confessions of a Purse-a-holic

My Dressy Ways said...

Wow! Tears are always a sign of a job well done! Lol.

poca said...

Thank you for showing me that I can combine my true loves and passions- Interior Design & Fashion!!!!

So inspiring.

xoxo,
Poca
www.stylespotrun.com

Wynn said...

Amazing job Kelly! I think you might have inspired me! Thanks for sharing! xox

Anonymous said...

Great job and wonderful taste. I love the skirt you wore on the Nate Show. Will you share the brand or where I could look for one?

Natalie said...

Kelly,
I was home sick yesterday, and happened to turn on the TV, just as you came on the show! I have been a follower of your blog for a long time, and it didn't surprise me to see your talent for showcasing your wardrobe and your home on national tv. Congrats on your accomplishments, and thanks for providing me with some good entertainment on my sick day!

Natalia | Look-A-Porter said...

Oh, girl, you are so amazing! What a beautiful result, no wonder it caused happy tears. x

L. said...

So fantastic Kelly, congrats!! You should seriously consider television as a side career :)

hotpinksox said...

Oh I love it! Can you come decorate my dressing room?

Angeles Almuna said...

FABULOUS! Your are so you!!!!! so cute, inspire me and you were absolutely professional, clever and of course GORGEOUS!
Congrats darling!
Kisses

www.angelesalmuna.com
www.shopangelesalmuna.com

Jerrica said...

great job the room looks great. You should definitely list the best and cheapest places you shop for home-wear.

dearest,
http://fashionnostalgia.blogspot.com/

Lemon Drop Love said...

You did such a fantastic job! Congratulations, what an accomplishment :) So happy for oyu and you are a huge inspiration!

xo Jen

Ingrid said...

How exciting!!! It's amazing how your personal style translates for someone else! Good job on the show very well spoken too.

Ingrid
http://sewchique.blogspot.com

The Fancy Teacup said...

I totally want to covet your loft, Kelly! It's beyond amazing. I am fascinated with your philosophy of translating your own personal style into your home decor. Great feature.

www.TheFancyTeacup.com
much love.

Rebecca Jane said...

This is so well deserved because frankly your interior design skills are amazing. Fantastic work on the show's feature too! Congrats!

blue roses said...

fame fame fatal fame.

http://dallianceswithsuitsandskirts.blogspot.com/

Betsy said...

This was fantastic! The room you designed was inspiring, I loved it. So glad you used that table you both loved so much - it's a great touch.

Loved your outfit on the show, too!

Caitlin @ Amuse-bouche said...

I love this! It was so inspiring to see what you did with the colors and patterns in this space. You are so gifted!

Michelle Lee said...

so cool :)

spring comes sweet post@
http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com

Danish Demeanor said...

Great show - well done

http://www.danishdemeanor.com/

Grace said...

I have one of those lamps! I got it at a junk shop in Florida. I wish I had a set or at least a better shade. My shade is plain. Any thoughts on lampshades or DIY shade improvement?

maryeb said...

Oh wow, you did a fabulous job! I missed the show and I'm so glad you shared the link. Nate seems like such a great guy. I always loved watching him on Oprah.

Molliee said...

wow great job! This looks fantastic and how great is Nate?!?

whenshedid said...

I've been following your blog for well over a year now, and I have to say I love the direction it's gone in; even towards exploring interior design. I feel much like the lady on the show you just helped...definitely should let my space show who I am too. Thank you for the every day inspiration!!

Contact said...

congratulations on all your accomplishments. your apartment is lovely, no wonder they asked!

http://heelsandinspiration.blogspot.com

Fiona said...

Her reaction was so sweet. She was so happy! I really liked the table that was adapted. Plus, you are even prettier on TV!

Collections said...

Omg this is so incredible congrats! You do have great interior design skills. I can't believe you met nate berkus, love him!

www.fashionablecollections.blogspot.com

revel in me said...

I love it! And it was really touching how much she loved it. Bravo! :)

Vanessa Agnetha said...

I Love Nate. :-P

OLGA TURKA said...

LOVE! SO proud of you, girl!! ;)

Unknown said...

after watching your segment on the nate show i immediately went online to find your blog. i was so inspired by your passion for fashion and design. your home and blog are beautiful. keep on doing what you love.

Laura said...

You are so brilliant!!! you can take someones style and translate it so perfectly!

Doorknobs And Daiquiris said...

You've killed it once again! Well done!

geri hirsch said...

ahhh you did such a beautiful job!!!! so proud of you! xoxoxo

Erin said...

So fresh! Loved it!

Cindy said...

How crazy is it that you're even doing tv now?! Congratulations! It must be so exciting for you. People really admire and trust your sense of style.

Cindy
www.stylesouffle.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Congrats on the segment - you were such a pro! It was truly enjoyable to watch :) Cheers - a

Unknown said...

So chic! LOVE the ikat pillows! xo

http://tryitonmegirl.blogspot.com/

Molly Marler said...

Congratulations, Kelly! This is AWESOME! Great job, another exciting accolade. Kudos! XO

simplychic said...

so cool! you did a great job on the show and with the makeover. i see a new career in your future ;)

Anonymous said...

That was incredibly sweet and the room looks fantastic. Great job Kelly! Looks like you really tapped into her personality perfectly.

xoxo
Cyrillynn

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a new and interesting way to think about decorating! I think it's great! Totally inspiring. Thanks for sharing!


-Anna

stylelinx said...

I saw part of that episode & thought it was you- great job!

amber said...

yay you!! so exciting!

SY said...

Lovely makeover! I can see you hosting a TV show. Are they going to do a feature on your apartment in the future?

Kate Lewis said...

you did a great job and i love your apartment!

Kay @Everyday Kay said...

Oh wow! You are so precious. Your hair looks great growing out, by the way!

I love your interior design! So much inspiration for my new apartment... :)

Gadfly said...

You made that woman soooo incredibly happy! It was really heartwarming.

annawithlove said...

what an incredible opportunity! Im taking notes on what you said b/c Im re-doing my room. LOVE IT! you are brilliant lady
http://www.annawithlove.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats! This is fantastic! -Angela

Unknown said...

How excellent! You're a natural in front of the camera -- I agree that your house should look like "you"

lisa kennedy watrous said...

kelly you did such a wonderful job and it was so cool to see kat so happy!

Shirley said...

Kelly I love you as a fashion blogger, but I think I love you MORE as an interior designer! You are so made for tv! I'm so inspired by you. You are a fashion blogger, jewelry maker, and an interior designer. Love it.

tmolinar said...

i almost cried watching this video.. you are going to go so far.. so much love to you.

Rossella said...

so innovative

let me know your thoughts on my new blog entry and follow me at:

My Couture Diaries
My Couture Diaries
My Couture Diaries

GFS said...

You did a fantabulous job:) I love that you are able to turn personal style into decor for the home!

I wish I had the nerve to say hi to you in Austin at the TXSCC:) I kind of didn't want to be a groupie and I know you were kind of being pulled in all directions:)

I ran into you at the bar at the end of the night and kind of interupted your conversation with Kendra on the way out. (sorry:)

(Brown girl, Big hair:)

This comment is starting to be about me, isn't it?!?

Anywho! Fab job...from one Texas girl to another:)

Ray said...

You were wonderful on the show! Loved your home tour and basement makeover. Job well done! I hope you had fun, Nate is such a sweet guy.

http://rayinthewindycity.blogspot.com