2.18.2011

{ a second chance } to scarf-tan-ette

remember back in july, when i did a makeover of the forever21 dress below (replacing its original suede straps with shiny gold chain)?!?


if so, you may recall that before i was able to post about the project, the piece had sold out ~ so i followed up with a DIY version of it instead. well, thanks to the helpful tip-offs of several eagle-eyed readers, i'm happy to tell you that the original dress has recently been restocked online. this means you can finally buy it yourself and do your own easy-peasy chain-strap update!

of course, if you'd prefer to spend the day getting crafty, the DO-IT-YOURSELF PROJECT this dress inspired is surprisingly fun and easy to execute ~ and the full instructions are HERE. either way, enjoy!!

99 comments:

Yasmeen said...

What a coincidence! When I saw the dress was back in stock, I immediately though of your DIY. I think the altered dress is so much classier; very clever.

Yasmeen
Castle Fashion

Yasmeen said...

*thought (I'm a Grammar Fiend, it's true.)

Gabrielle Pascua said...

Definitely admiring your DIY result better, I love the ingenuity. Not to say that your legs don't look gorgeous in the F21 dress! Envious!

xx Gaby

www.gabrielle-highfidelity.blogspot.com

princess lasertron said...

so cute and simple. I love it lady!

gabrielle said...

yours looks better.

I'm a finalist to be @TheLevisGirl but I need all the votes I can get. Help me spread the word http://on.fb.me/LevisGaby

www.paperplanesandmaryjanes.com

CINCHED AT THE WAIST said...

ooo those sunnies. dress is genius. amazing.

Unknown said...

The clinched waist works wonders. And the gold chains0 LOVE!

www.style-fiesta.blogspot.com

Marissa said...

i like this dress, but your diy version is cuter.

Girl Meets Bag

bravegrrl said...

you look absolutely stunning in that dress!

Lace and Tulle said...

gorgeous!! I love your heels

www.theclassique.org

Miss Molly said...

oooh thanks for the heads up! will keep an eye out for it! i love your version of it with your gold chain straps! you look beautiful!

http://missmollyfashions.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

It looks much better on you than on the model! :)
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

HUMANITYISBEAUTIFUL said...

it's ridiculous how happy this outfit makes me :))) i was just daydreaming about frilly, colorful summer dresses! oh, and you look divine! :)))

Absolutely Mrs. K said...

Ooh a summer dress in the winter, but it doesn’t look like a tablecloth. The chains are a real improvement, it makes the dress a lot more elegant and exuberating (oh the little details can do the trick). Of course you are so well styled, it is perfectly combined with the colored shoes, the glasses and of course the jacket. The jacket transforms the dress from a beach look to a sophisticated city look. The belt is doing the same thing. So this look is so perfect because of the accessories

The Magic Mirror said...

Yeay!!!!! I wanted that dress so badly after you showed it too!!!!

Amber
http://themagikmirror.blogspot.com/

Mxx said...

Pure genius!

Amira Rasool said...

That dress is so cute & original!
check me out & follow me :)
www.bobbieaustinscloset.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

OMG → Never mind that dress → That BODY!! W_O_W ☆

http://www.sprezza2raw.com/

baci ♥ Brad

kate said...

I like the dress, but I am in love with the shoes. I doubt I could ever afford them, but wow love the color and the straps.

Beautycountry said...

That dress is soo cute!!! :D

And your earrings...to die for!! :D

WILDFIRE said...

I orderd the dress YESTERDAY of course remembering your DIY!!! Unbelievable!!!

Anonymous said...

this dress and the shoes are very beautiful! You look superbe!

http://timeless-is-more.blogspot.com/

the danish girl said...

Such a cute look - good work on the dress :)

http://thedanishgirl.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

adore that scarf dress, and your sunnies are amazing

http://elenavasilieva.blogspot.com/
x

Unknown said...

love how you upgraded it :)))



xoxo from rome
K.
http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

Anastasios said...

You really made a good work with it. A little change but such a huge difference and improvement.
You have a fine taste!
Thanks for sharing!!!!
xoxoxo

Violet said...

wow i love the way you styled this dress because i wouldnt have thought it could look this good. the belt works perfect. love the shoes as well

XX
Vi from Cali

Run With Fashion said...

OH WOW!! ...The colors suit your very well!! Soo preetty!! ♥♥♥♥
-Anna

BIBAVIMH said...

WOW Love this design, color and pattern! =)♥

The Dame said...

Holy crap you look hot in this outfit! Who are those amazing shoes by!?

ThE fAsHiOn WoRsHiPeR said...

Loved your DIY version doll :)

XoXO-Kelli K
http://thefashionworshiper.blogspot.com

Reptilia said...

You look fabolous!!

http://justreptilia.blogspot.com

xxxx

KimChicSisters said...

Love the pattern!


http://kimchicsisters.blogspot.com/2011/02/spring-preview.html

The Fancy Teacup said...

The dress has a lovely exotic pattern, I love the remake on you. Super hot and chic!

www.TheFancyTeacup.com
much love.

Wynn said...

Ooh la la!!! Hotness alert! ;)

ClosetConfections said...

Perfection! Needless to say, I will be purchasing this dress and doing my own DIY version asap. THanks for the heads up!

Kendra
Closet Confections - A Personal Style Blog

Baby Budget Blog said...

It is a super hot dress (the way you re-did it of course)...hmmmmm....


www.plentyforpennies.com

Anonymous said...

your hair is much more gorgeous in a short pixie - it has grown so much since July!

Unknown said...

you are so creative in everything that you do, it never ceases to amaze me!

<3 steffy
www.steffysprosandcons.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

what an awesome scarf dress. makes me think of spring and i am loving it. the glasses work perfectly.
http://www.wordbyjessie.com
xxjj

Unknown said...

love the shoes! and what a great idea for a spring dress.

X

http://www.thefashionhash.com/

Sofia said...

You look ridiculously amazing in this dress!

Closet Fashionista said...

I think I prefer your version, you look amazing :D :D
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Unknown said...

I like your version even better than the Forever 21 one. It's a great way to make use of vintage scarves.

http://www.crochetclouds.com/

annawithlove said...

I remember when you first posted this! I was instantly hooked!
x
www.annawithlove.com

Michelle Lee said...

loveeed it so much back then and now im so inspired again :)

http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com
(want to hear your opinion on my leopard wedge bootie from GoJane.com)

Hang T. Tran said...

I love your blog!!!!
Thanks for posting these inspiring creations.
All the best!

http://poumlamode.blogspot.com

herCatwalk said...

Really cute dress! You make it look way more expensive than a Forever 21 find. Shows you how style doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Botany's Desire said...

Wow, only you could pull off this look. Love your blog.

Ana said...

I actually like your DIY version much better than the forever21 one! And you wear it so well!! Oh warm weather...if only spring would come already!

Sylvia said...

i LOVEd this on you and have been looking for some inspiring scarves to make this happen for spring.

so so lovely!

xo
i wander, i wonder

Karolina said...

That dress is amazing! Adn with the chains and belt - even better!

http://carriesfashiondiary.blogspot.com/

BECKY MAY said...

This is a beautiful dress! I reckon I'll try a DIY version for fun! :)

The Flower Girl

thebohemiangoods.blogspot.com

MG said...

Love, love, love. I'm so doing this!

Unknown said...

The chains are a fantastic replacement! The dress looks so much better, I can't wait to try it out for myself!

The student's guide to affordable luxury said...

I am loving it!! Looks gorgeous on you!

Britney said...

Such pretty colors! The dress suits you very well :).

my healthy twist said...

You look GORGEOUS! as usual! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

SAMANTHA said...

no way this is amazing!! going to f21.com right now....



xx
www.dragonnfruit.com

Shabby said...

This is absolutely stunning! It suits you so well.

Jerrica said...

great DIY, you styled it wonderfully because lord knows that dress looks like a handkerchief. Giggles*

dearest,
http://fashionnostalgia.blogspot.com/

Ana Sting said...

I discover your face now and I looove it! Your hairstyle, adn your attitude are awesome! Where are you from? I think that I saw photos of you in NYFW! xx

Ana- TumeplaisCoco- xx

Julie (Little Pink Rain Boots) said...

Fantastic, I love the gold chains straps it really took the dress to a whole new level.


littlepinkrainboots.blogspot.com

Katherine said...

Ooo I saw that DIY a while back on your blog, didn't know it was inspired by this dress! So creative :)
La Petite Marmoset

annikajames said...

where did you find those amazing heels??? i love them!~ great pop of color that isn't too "matchy-matchy"

Kayla said...

You look beautiful, and I love your shoes!
xx

heydoll16.blogspot.com

Ayanna Michelle said...

It's a really great dress and you pull it off FABULOUSLY. Your style is exquisite!

Quench Fab

Mary Ann said...

Wow, on that F21 model I would never think the dress could look that great, on but it's fabulous on you!!

Z said...

Awesomely DIY-ed dress - it looks fabulous on you!

I also love your blazer! May I ask who the designer is?

Kimberly said...

you look amazing in these photos! those legs!

check out my blog
http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

lindsey lowe said...

this is such a fabulous idea! i must have this dress... with gold chain straps of course.

LUIZA said...

so original!
Love,
Luiza from lifestyle philosophy

classiq said...

I love your version of the dress better. And the way you styled it, this shows how important is the person wearing it and knowing how to wear it to truly represent you.
Ada

Miyan said...

you rock it like a million times better than the model on the forever site. you really know how to alter things to fit your style, i think thats great. i would have never thought to interchange the fringed leather straps for gold chains, but love the idea and it looks better than the original!

Miyan

www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com

Big Hug Studio said...

I really like how you've wrapped the dress around. It really accentuates the colour and the design. I must say it looks much better than the original. Nice touch with the gold.

Ella

www.bighugstudio.blogspot.com

Giulia said...

Wow!!!
I love it!

www.thesinuouselegance.com

Alien said...

Wow, I think I'm definitely going to try the DIY project! I can't wait to go scarf hunting. Now, if it will only stop raining for some incentive. :)
Thanks!
www.alienbabyblog.com

erin said...

What a great outfit! And the shoes are killer!

~ Erin
mysolesearching.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

PLEASE, what are those shoes??? i can't believe how hot they are.

they might be in my top five fav shoe, ever!

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

to everyone who asked, the shoes are ALBERTA FERRETTI ~ they are SO FUN for summer!

XOKelly

Shivani said...

Gorgeous outfit! And I don't know if anyone's ever told you, but you look like you could be Jessica Stroup's sister!

www.beautybonza.blogspot.com

Mary Ann said...

This is great, I picked mine up at the store today. I totally plan on chaining-out the straps!

Cris Michelle said...

Although the Forever21 version is adorable, I absolutely adore your DIY! The idea of making this look my own is much more appealing. Keep us inspired!

Miss Oh' said...

Really love what you did with the dress, but like your own 'total-DIY-dress' even more. I have tons of scarves, but none is large enough for my 188cm body .. Still searching for the right size ;)

Thx for the idea!

x
Oh'

blogbymissoh.blogspot.com

Rossella said...

wow i love this diy
let me know your thoughts on my new blog entry and follow me at:

My Couture Diaries
My Couture Diaries
My Couture Diaries

Anonymous said...

great post!!

http://sheenatschangstyling.blogspot.com/

Bambisarmoire said...

You really do look great in dresses like this! You wear them so well!

Leslie said...

I have this dress too! I took the straps off and wear it as a circle scarf in the winter months.

Laura said...

What size did you purchase from F21: small or xs? Thanks!

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

@ Laura: I honestly don't remember what size mine is. But I'd suggest you err on the larger side ~ the looser/drapier the better with this sort of garment. You don't want it to be too perfectly fitted.

XOKelly

Anonymous said...

stunning!!!

Anabel Vicente said...

AMAZING!!

clc936@gmail.com said...

I totally bought the dress and can't wait to add the chains! Thanks!!

Mary Ann said...

Okay, I got it, I did it and I posted it! ;-) Thanks so much for the ideas!

http://thedapperbun.blogspot.com/2011/03/outfit-of-day-diy-style-colorful-silk.html

Drew {Coral Cafe} said...

I found this dress yesterday, tried it on and concluded..looks way better on you than it did on me!
I love those orange heels!! where did you get those!?

Lauren said...

I am so happy you did this DIY !
I just bought a printed maxi dress that I love but the straps were cheap looking (the typical stretchy same color spaghetti strap...yuck) so I changed them with a bronze gold chain and braided the chains to add a unique touch and I'M IN LOOOVEEE! thank you so much for the inspiration!

maria d said...

hi
i live in the Uk and am desperate to find this dress - it appears to be out of stock online, can anyone help with finding one for me or even giving me the product code so I can ring some stores. Thank you so much.x

maria d said...

my email is maria101@sky.com thanks x

Los Angeles SEO said...

Hot way to recycle!