as i mentioned yesterday, i had a game-changing, borderline-religious experience while visiting las vegas. no, i didn't get married. nor did i hit the jackpot. i didn't even go all fear & loathing. instead, i dragged my dear friend and vacation-mate cleo (who just started a blog!!), and our beleaguered boyfriends to the liberace museum. it was incredible. 
for those of you who are not familiar with his legacy, liberace (pronounced liber-ah-chee) was a famous pianist, known for his over-the-top showmanship, a longstanding career on the vegas strip, and for being the highest paid entertainer in the world from the 1950s-70s.

from the looks of things, most of that money was reinvested into his wardrobe (a solid choice, in this case). apparently, he once single-handedly saved swarovski (the crystal company) from bankruptcy. an american hero, obviously:

but back to the museum. instead of being housed in a gaudy, glittering castle on the strip (as the lib's legacy so clearly deserves), it's nestled in some seedy suburban strip mall, next to the creepily-windowless good times bar (which offers 'recession specials' and opens at 8am! yikes.).

{ i wore: my most vegas-worthy, self-titled 'elvis sunnies' by devi kroell for vogue eyewear (last seen HERE), the glamourai necklace, s2vs shirt, betsey johnson dress, coach bag, lamb shoes }
luckily, this lousy locale belies the awe-inspiring splendor of what hides inside:

{ indeed, we have just seen a disco-ball rolls royce ("boy, it really stops traffic when i shop at safeway!"), a pink feather cape (with train!) and a swarovski crystal-encrusted piano with lucite lid & matching bench. OMG. }
perhaps my favorite thing about the self-described "one-man disneyland"? his intense dedication to finger-bling...


...though the details in all his attire were truly breathtaking. i mean:





like the man himself says in this video, "look me over! i didn't get dressed like this to go unnoticed." amen, mister.
if ever you find yourself visiting vegas, please make time for a trip to this hidden gem!


for those of you who are not familiar with his legacy, liberace (pronounced liber-ah-chee) was a famous pianist, known for his over-the-top showmanship, a longstanding career on the vegas strip, and for being the highest paid entertainer in the world from the 1950s-70s.

from the looks of things, most of that money was reinvested into his wardrobe (a solid choice, in this case). apparently, he once single-handedly saved swarovski (the crystal company) from bankruptcy. an american hero, obviously:

but back to the museum. instead of being housed in a gaudy, glittering castle on the strip (as the lib's legacy so clearly deserves), it's nestled in some seedy suburban strip mall, next to the creepily-windowless good times bar (which offers 'recession specials' and opens at 8am! yikes.).

{ i wore: my most vegas-worthy, self-titled 'elvis sunnies' by devi kroell for vogue eyewear (last seen HERE), the glamourai necklace, s2vs shirt, betsey johnson dress, coach bag, lamb shoes }
luckily, this lousy locale belies the awe-inspiring splendor of what hides inside:


{ indeed, we have just seen a disco-ball rolls royce ("boy, it really stops traffic when i shop at safeway!"), a pink feather cape (with train!) and a swarovski crystal-encrusted piano with lucite lid & matching bench. OMG. }
perhaps my favorite thing about the self-described "one-man disneyland"? his intense dedication to finger-bling...


...though the details in all his attire were truly breathtaking. i mean:





like the man himself says in this video, "look me over! i didn't get dressed like this to go unnoticed." amen, mister.
if ever you find yourself visiting vegas, please make time for a trip to this hidden gem!


41 comments:
Cool photos and your outfit was perfect!
www.FashionSnag.com
What a great post about a fabulous man!! Awesome pics too....Ive been to Vegas, but have never seen the Liberace Museum....a definite "must see" on my next visit:)
Have a great night!
you look cool and comfy for the weather!
Great outfit, fabulous necklace. I missed going here the last time I was in Vegas and was sad for it. I really need to go again to see this amazing place!
Really like your outfit !!
XX
Styleweapon.blogspot.com
Such an amazing museum for you to experience!! Forever loving Liberace's signature over-accessorizing!! P.S. Your outfit is super cute too!!
xo-LO
http://www.lolodahling.com
Nice pics - thanks for sharing!
I love the button down knotted over that dress, and, I agree that those are perfect Vegas sunglasses.
Awesome...I love those rings! Makes me want to go through my dads :) lol.
great finds!! and an awesome outfit!!
xxx
http://amaturecouture.com
Very interesting... Love all this decadence...
And your dress!
http://www.valentineavoh.blogspot.com/
-diary of a fashion stylist-
Wow! I love the piano and pink feather cape. Others may see these outfits and think "out there," but these pictures totally speak to the fashion mood I am in: shiny, bright colours, and the bigger the jewels the better.
Super fun post!
http://stringmagazine.ca/
I wouldn't have asked him how he can play with all those rings, I would have asked, if it's more challenging with those short fingers!
I still can't get over the disco ball Rolls Royce!! Insane.
Great photos...
xxo Kelly
Glamourous Spirit
I like the way you do Dixie!
I'm in love with your skirt, amazing! Great pics too!
www.abitoffashion.com
Perfect post :-) Loving the bling on that man!
you look great and I am loving all the sparkle in these pics!
lachicmenagerie.blogspot.com
I totally regret not going to the Liberace museum when I was in Vegas last January. There are so many things to do at every hour of every day, my boyfriend and I lost track of time! The fun fact about Liberace single-handedly saving Swarovski from bankruptcy is fabulous. Love it!
-Lindsay
http://cubiclechicblog.com
Arg! I was in Vegas in May, two of us wanted to go, the other two were not down with the fabulosity. Sadly, they won. I'm kicking myself now, I'm sure I would have loved it!
http://idlefascination.blogspot.com/
The Glamourai + Liberace = a match made in heaven. This is proof that inspiration can come in the unlikeliest of places.
Hand drawn:
myclosetinsketches.com
Your outfit was beautiful. And what fun, thanks for the vegas tip!
http://behindthelashes.com
I love Liberace!!! I remebr watching his program on T.V. years ago his piano playing skills inspiring and his wardrobe just as inspiring!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you got to go to the Liberace museum. =)
AMAZING PHOTOS and you look fabulous!
www.missmollyfashions.blogspot.com
this is beyond cool! that man had ridiculous style i love it! perfect pictures - perfect outfit ;)
http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/
Oh my God, what beauties. The blog, the pictures and you. Gotta drop by more often.
I love your outfit! And the crazy outfits of the dolls too :D
X
http://rendez-fou.blogspot.com
HTTP://RENDEZ-FOU.BLOGSPOT.COM
Um, love it! Could Lady Gaga be vying for a spot as the female Liberace? Bold statement I know....
Becca
@ Becca: I had the exact same thought!!
XOGlamourai
hes seems like the most interesting man! and i love your outfit its very vegas esque
awesome. who would've thought! I love it all.
I must go there next time.
He was so fab!
How awesome! Sounds like a great time!
Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com
I visited the Neon Museum, and totally did not know about the Liberache museum...next time for sure! Ahhh, I can only imagine all the glitter and glam!
Fabulous photos! I love your dress!
http://fromdenimtodessert.blogspot.com/
great photos, definitely want to go there sometime!
lafillemystere.blogspot.com
Now I know what I'm packing for Vegas. Love your nighttime look! I'll be visiting F21 prior to departure.
You have to check out my review of Santa Monica Place, an iconic mall which has been revamped to fit the "new" Santa Monica scene. XOXO Valerie
http://imstarvin.blogspot.com/2010/08/mall-heard-round-world.html
I live in Vegas and I ALWAYS tell people to go there! It's one of my favorite places in the city.
talk about all that GLITTERS! thanks for sharing!
ciao! ;)
alice/SELECTIVE MEMORY
That is AMAZING. I'm so jealous! I HAVE to see this one day. I love Liberace. I have his music on my iPod and I love watching videos of his performances on Youtube.
Mustart x
So grand! I found out about him because of a Lady Gaga song and I was like "who's Liberace?" I know, sad. I wish I found out about him sooner. He's amazing.
he's amazing. funny enough, in Turkey we have a replica- Zeki Müren. he died in 90s, but he was Liberace of Turkey, a country with 99% muslim society. actually, he became very famous despite the military rule during the coup years in 70s and 80s- he was on stage with a glittery mini skirt when generals were watching! we also assumed he was very original since Turkey was a close economy back then.
what i find very interesting for the case of müren is that his sexual orientation was out of question and never discussed. the main focus was on his voice- which was great. rest was not an issue. during the same time, a singer who had a transgender operation was sent to exile, so- imagine!
Liberace is of course the unique original, but i must say, zeki müren faced more challenges. he was adored by the whole country, named "the sun of art", as he was shining on stage. even his hair style is liberace-esque. he didnt play the piano but rather sang quite sad, classical turkish songs with a perfect pronounciation. he also made some movies.
if you have time, google has a large archive of müren. it could be fun to play "spot the similarities" :)
Post a Comment