10.27.2009

{ classic plaid } grunge is gone / preppy's passé

there's nothing like an idyllic weekend in the country to remind you how haute and handy pretty plaids can be... suddenly, i feel i need more pieces in this pliable pattern!


(matt jones / via fashiongonerouge)


(alexei hay / harper's bazaar UK / november 2008)


(tim walker / vogue UK / march 2009)


(alexei hay / harper's bazaar UK / november 2008)


(mario testino / vogue US / november 2009)

17 comments:

Lorena said...

Every year as soon as fall hits I find myself being attracted to plaids all over again. I especially love the Alexei Hay photos!

Livie said...

I love those pictures and looks, especially the third one. classic, preppy country plaid.

Brigadeiro said...

Gorgeous pics! Love plaid, even if I don't wear it often...
xx

Unknown said...

I'm loving the plaid... Unfortunately I don't own nearly enough of it.

www.fashionofmysoul.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

I have a coat that looks a lot like the one in the fourth photo. I wore it to visit my boyfriend's parents in the country and he laughed at me, calling me a "city girl who is trying to be country." Haha. Works for me.

The Photodiarist said...

I think that it's kind of funny that we refer to the Hamptons as the "countryside". I love these photos but I know that I will never be successful at making plaid look chic on me.

Rebekah @ Shell Blog said...

I wore so much plaid as a grunge-y teenager that, as an adult, I've got next to no plaid in my wardrobe. I regret getting rid of my most treasured plaid shirt from high school b/c now I'm totally picturing it worn with high-waisted trousers, lots of glam necklaces, and some refined "combat" boots. Sometimes closet purging is a mistake! ;)

Ava said...

I have such a thing for plaid... it's such a wonderfully classic, luscious pattern, and always comes in the best colors! Can't wait to see what you'll do with it :)

xx
Ava
http://www.aandhblog.wordpress.com

Katy said...

Plaid is the bomb. Plaid shirts are definitely a basic for me.

Nickie Frye said...

Agreed, every fall I have a renewed hankering for plaid. Gotta be careful with plaids though. Looking like a lumberjack is pretty much never hot. :) I love the third pic down w/ the hay. That jumper is so pretty. I'm a little disappointed to hear that you're not feeling the grunge resurgence. I think it looks really fresh right now & am stocking up on grungy pieces in my shop. www.nickiefrye.etsy.com I guess when you sell vintage, being passé is ok though.

Anonymous said...

some of these look pretty grungy.

Kate said...

Love plaids sooo much. I honestly was surprised they've made such a comeback since grunge and Clueless, but they really are so versatile.

Cypriotchick said...

such a beautiful and slightly classier way to wear plaid!

Cypriotchick
cypriotchick.blogspot.com

myedit said...

There is something about plaid... It's embarrassing how much I actually wear my thrifted RL purple plaid shirt. I edit it down in my outfit posts but if there was a dily outfit post on my blog that bad boy would be there way. too. much.

Anonymous said...

love the black and white shot

Closet Cravings said...

I love how pretty and chic the girl in the first picture looks.

TheGlamourai said...

* when this site switched servers, all comments on this post were lost. i sincerely apologize for the inconveniece. your input is important to me and to this blog! *

xoxoGlamourai