9.19.2009

{ purge }

a week of saturated fashion has left me with less of a thirst to splurge than with an urge to purge.



growing up, my mother enforced a biannual wardrobe cleansing; as an adult, it's become a ritual i'll never abandon.

here's how it works: every six months, take everything out of your closet, your shoe boxes, jewelry bins, sock drawer... then carefully put back only those things that you absolutely love ~ things you would buy again right now if given the opportunity again.


everything else must be immediately consigned or donated to charity.

37 comments:

esther said...

well, if you need to a place to send your rejected clothes, i'm pretty sure i could give them a happy home.
:)

Isabel said...

Closet purges are essential. Oftentimes I wish I had enough closet space to be one of those compulsive clothes hoarders, but it's just never going to happen.

vitaMinn style said...

I do the same thing every spring! I have a limited closet space and my rule is if I shop for 5 items, then 5 must also go.

Lovely outfit! =)

Salon Mystique said...

Something that I really need to get into the habit of. Clothes are taking over my room! Love your blog and that outfit is great!

http://www.salonmystique.blogspot.com

www.janetteria.com said...

Great wardrobe shoots. :-)

I love Ur Missoni sandals very much...

XoXo

Anonymous said...

please consign all unwanted glamorai clothes to me asap ;) i am enjoying your 'slumming outfit' and the fact that it still involves heels. i'm loving the tunic too. ~joelle

Phrae Muangsaen said...

You look so stylish in this outfit! and I totally love how you play with colors here- I'd never thought of pairing a purple bag with this outfit! and it came out perfect :)

wwkrissiewear said...

I think you have many willing takers of your discarded clothes... my hand is raised too :-) What percentage of your stuff would you say you get rid of? I also try to purge every now and then; it's hard for me...

Lauren said...

i love doing the purge... especially when i find things that i'd forgotten about or thought i'd lost. i did one a few weeks ago and ended up finding a bunch of skirts from years ago that i was able to remake into some awesome new high-waisted things.

also, i don't think i've commented before, but i wanted to let you know that you are TOTALLY my style inspiration. i love coming on your blog and getting amazing ideas.

you rock, and if you EVER feel like donating clothes to a stranger, hit me up at www.papergownsupermodel.blogspot.com

Kat said...

Hello beautiful Glamourai! I just did some closet purging yesterday...got a bag full of clothes to donate or hand down to cousins.

Happy to see a wee bit of your closet!

Love your tunic. Enjoy the weekend!

Anonymous said...

i love the saturday style. i look a lot less put together than that on my lazy days. i'm drooling over all of the clothes in your closet. whenever i get rid of clothes, i feel very accomplished.

susan said...

I purge with four criteria-
1. have i worn it in the past year?
2. If it cost >$100- then two years
3. Does it fit?
4. Is it sentimental for some reason?
That usually get's rid of most of the excuses. Even if you TRULY love it and you haven't worn it in a year- then it has no place in your wardrobe!

I am inspired to purge too!

Elizabeth said...

sometimes it's nice to just do a wardrobe cleanse, out with the old and in with the new. love your beanie!

http://nothingbutapackofcards.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I'm feeling that urge to purge, as well + this post might have given me that final push! At the same time, I wish I could shop your {truly enviable} closet!

Cheers.

Unknown said...

P.S. I love {love!} your list of fifty fave fashion flicks. Genius.

Christen said...

I purge regularly. I just don't have enough room in my closet to keep everything!

Love the pics of your closet. And let us know where you consign your clothes, pleeeease!

guildedsecret. said...

i love the idea of a clothing purge, although i have a feeling i would be HORRIBLE at that task! i form such personal connections with each item of clothing that giving them away would be difficult.

i'm new to your blog and must say that i absolutely love your style and will be adding you to my reading list :)

xo.
princesspolitico

The Photodiarist said...

Funny . . . my mom enforced that too. I do it when I change seasons . . . spring/summer and then fall/winter. Love your comfy clothes. Still stylin'.

http://photodiarist.typepad.com/thephotodiarist/

C said...

Sometimes I feel like purging my closet is even more satisfying than buying new things. A reminder of what you love.

InnyVinny said...

I'm with the Owls; I love how your slumming outfit includes heels!

Leah said...

You look so cool in your weekend outfit. I do purge too... but I do mine when my closet can't accommodate the stuff I have.

Wikifashion said...

It is such a fantastic feeling, getting rid of unwanted clutter and developing a more refined wardrobe, also makes room for future purchases :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana said...

It feels so good to organize and clean, and a little heartbreaking at times.

The Barely Tattoo'd Artist said...

I love purging my closet...it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something and getting rid of things that I don't particularly love as part of my wardrobe...

Plus, it gives me a good excuse to go shopping, since I know what I have and what I still need...

brunch at the beach said...

Oops, the only purging I ever do is when I move. Then I usually need a pickup truck to take my garbage bags of clothes to the nearest donation center. -__-

I should do it more often...thanks for the reminder!

Laura Trevey said...

Need to purge my closet...

Great advice!
xo Laura

Anonymous said...

Please purge your goodies on etsy, instead of a consignment store!!! I'm pretty good about purging clothes, but have a really hard time with the shoes and boots...just love them all, too much.

Nadia Kamballa said...

Hmm... I think I need to do it now... My closet's screaming to be cleansed ^_^

http://thenovembergirl.blogspot.com

Happyretro said...

Its just turned into a lovely Spring here in Sydney so 2 weekends ago I did a big purge/rediscovery of my wardrobe.

I started demanding to dress myself at age 3, so Mum had to put away season inappropriate clothes each season (as I had a penchant for wearing my strappy dresses in winter and fuzzy coat in summer).

I've kept this habit as an adult and love rediscovering my old clothes each season. Its amazing how you can see a garment in a completely new light when its been out of sight for 6 months.

Samantha said...

im sure i would love your "rejects"

market publique said...

funny, i did this yesterday and am taking the leftovers to Beacon's today. My closet let out a big sigh of relief!

Rebecca Jane said...

this is a habit of mine as well. It feels good to have a bit of a clothing cleanse and also to donate to, in my case, the salvation army.

Rachel said...

out of curiosity where do you consign?

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

@ Rachel: i take designer pieces to tokio7 in manhattan, the rest to sell/trade at beacon's closet in brooklyn.

xoxoGlamourai

TheGlamourai said...

* when this site switched servers, all comments on this post were lost. i sincerely apologize for the inconveniece. your input is important to me and to this blog! *

xoxoGlamourai

kookaburra said...

I do the same thing... That and more.. -If I buy more than usual, I donate more clothes than I've bought. Keeps the wardrobe & load in balance :)