5.27.2009

{ costume of the day } what about breakfast at tiffany's?

marie antoinette left me wondering... what other ingenues had exceptionably enviable aplomb?

modern movie mademoiselle holly golightly, that's certain.


who can forget 'breakfast at tiffany's?' it's one of those films i'd like to watch incessantly looped & projected onto a high white wall - sound off - like a moving editorial in a larger-than-life magazine.

you see, if it weren't for audrey hepburn's whimsical yet practical costumes, designed by hubert de givenchy, it might not occur to me to consider tulle tutus and sequin vests to be daywear...



...but i do.

what stylish films do you love? let's make a list. which fancy flicks rival french vogue? who never goes out of style? what else? what else!

h+m skirt (this one could go either 'antoinette' or 'audrey' ~ prepare to see a lot of it this summer!), prada shoe boots

vintage sunnies, ice.com earrings, vintage sequin gilet (worn backwards), self-designed bracelet & necklace (both shipping out to shrimpton couture tomorrow - feel free to contact them for first dibs!)




the village idiot mentioned that she likes to watch 'pretty in pink' while crafting. which film fuels your imagination? help me brainstorm, and who knows? it could inspire the next costume
- mine or yours!

61 comments:

Lori said...

once again your jewelry kills me!
for style movies i love every single thing that marilyn wore in gentlemen prefer blondes

Kyla said...

You have such a sick sense of style, I just can't get enough. It melts me inside!

What we four say said...

If you haven't seen "Star" with Julie Andrews, it is amazing. It's super long with lots and lots of amazing costumes. It about a stars life, a musical and really fun to watch.

A little teaser can be seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqalEWhEITw

JULES said...

your jewelry is freakin insane....adore your outfit THE perfect audrey rendition

xAZD said...

ooh that necklace is so pretty! it reminds me of ann demeulemeester's big rhinestone-chain necklaces :D
www.xazddesign.com

Brigadeiro said...

Your full skirt is gorgeous! My favourite movies for fashion inspiration are: Amelie, Priceless, most old school movies (especially Audrey Hepburn movies, as Hubert de Givenchy was behind the costumes), Hero, Marie Antoinette...hm..will stop here or could go on forever ;)
xx

Katy said...

I have to say, I waaaay prefer your style over Holly Golightly's. This outfit is beyond gorgeous! Do you know if that skirt is still in-store?

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

@ KD: i JUST bought the skirt! so yes, it should still be in store.

heathen said...

that necklace is amazing! it would be great if you didn't get everything so perfect all the time, so us humans could try and look stylish. haha! as always, you look terrific.

ashley said...

love the bracelet, or what I can see of it. not really a movie but 70s Jodie Foster comes to mind. Maybe Taxi Driver but I've never seen it.

Alex said...

That necklace is GENIUS!! =O I never understood the hype about Breakfast At Tiffany's...until I saw it =D

Revolution Malibu said...

Stunning as usual! Go on with your baaaaad self!

Michelle Eggers said...

You've got to love how adorable Diane Keaton was in Annie Hall, and, I guess, most movies she did in the 70s. She pulls off mens' apparel like nobody's biz. There's also this amazing Chinese movie called "In the Mood for Love" which is a romance set in the 1950s (made around 2007). It's beautiful for so many reasons, and the main actress is this stunning, long-necked, unearthly graceful Chinese Audrey Hepburn lookalike. She wears these long Chinese gowns (apparently called Cheongsams?) with a different print for every scene. Definitely would recommend watching that movie for visual inspiration, if you haven't already seen it. The music is also magnificent.

Brittany said...

CLUELESS!

MerciBlahBlah said...

OOooh, I love when movies and fashion collide. A few of my faves are Rene Russo in The Thomas Crown Affair, Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, Funny Face, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Sex and the City, Houseboat, Moulin Rouge....

Elll-oh-vee-eeee your H&M skirt and sequin shell. Tres tres chic!
Merci!
Shannan

Ella Orsini said...

Bonnie and Clyde, for sure. Also, Sharon Stone in Casino (and I'll second Basic Instinct) and Michelle Pfeiffer in Scarface.

Damsels said...

absolute perfection .

hmm maybe Clockwork Orange .


i dunno .
pretty in pink .

The Voguette said...

love the inspiration and that poofy skirt is killer - ive been looking for one myself as well...

xox.
The Voguette

Miss Absinthe said...

Marie Antoinette is my favorite movie for everything... but fashionwise (and good entertainment too), check out:
Auntie Mame w/ Rosalind Russell, The Women 1940 version (there's a fashion show in the middle of the movie), What a Way to Go w/ Shirley MacLaine, Rear Window (fashion solves the crime) and... Barbarella. They're a good start! OH and you have to watch the original Thomas Crown Affair, Faye Dunaway is at her best.

Anonymous said...

When I want to remind myself that I'm fabulous I watch Party Girl.

The PBS Mystery version of Sherlock Holmes is a great inspiration for how to wear menswear.

Also, A Clockwork Orange and Pretty in Pink have been strong influences over the years.

- The High Femme Gentleman

Unknown said...

atonement, lately. just the light little dresses and the punch of a single perfect shade (in her case, emerald) and the red lips and 1940s era accessories are sooooooo perfect.

Le Quaintrelle said...

This is so cute! For movies my favorites would be Easter Parade, for the over-the-top costumes and colors, To Catch a Thief, And God Created Woman, Sylvia and Brideshead Revisited.

Adrianna Traxler said...

Your style is beyond chic and your so talented when it comes to creating unique jewelry. I love everything about you n your style.

Anonymous said...

Out of Africa,
How to Marry a Millionaire
Notorious
Vertigo
The Women (original version)
Reds
Indiscreet
Love Affair to Remember
Sabrina
Green Card

xx
inkstain

Anonymous said...

i know it's cliche but faye dunaway in bonnie and clyde is just amazing. also i just watched chicago, and it's worth it for the lingerie and legwear alone.

The Zsa Zsa Zsu said...

that necklace is DEFINATELY my favourite so far! you are too talented!

as for movies;
Thelma & Louise and The Outsiders for the DENIM
and of course; La Dolche Vita and Pretty Woman!

Martha said...

I love this outfit!
The skirt, the sequined gilet, the jewellry! Pure bliss

whyioughtta said...

Sabrina
Belle de jour
Lady Sings the Blues
Gigi
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Great Gatsby
Sunset Boulevard
Two for the Road
Roman Holiday
Funny Face
Paris When It Sizzles
All About Eve
Pretty in Pink
Breakfast Club
The Age of Innocence

I could go on...

I know I'm heavily skewed to the Hepburn side but as you said, her amazing gamine grace + Givenchy = perfection.

whyioughtta said...

One more: Charlotte Gainsbourg in Prete-moi-ta-main.

Anonymous said...

just discovered your blog I love your style and your Etsy shop you are really talented
my fav fash movie is Deneuve in Belle de jour and the comedy Le Sauvage /SAINT LAURENT for both
and always Ana Karina in the godard pierrot le fou or jean seberg in godard as well
or l annee derniere a Marienbad avec Delphine Seirig the perfect actress straight out of a Marguerite Duras novel !!

Marta said...

Wow, you are the best! I’m always surprised with your style! So effortless and the photos, the poses, not anyone can do it.

noel vallens said...

Grey Gardens (the original) and Blue Velvet, for sure. pretty much anything david lynch. also, Amacord was pretty fantastic.

and of course, anything by Pedro Almodovar. his use of color is exceptional. warm, bright colors. if i could be a walking almodovar movie, i would.

franki said...

Pretty Woman! (After Vivienne goes shopping!)
Oh and Gone with the Wind - the clothing in that is just beautiful and also kind of hilarious (seriously, if I could justify wearing a massive bonnet and gown every day, I would do so...)

Anonymous said...

love Audrey! Love that skirt, its fabulous! J'adore J'adore.

xoxo
J

www.talkprettytome.blogspot.com

Islandia Lane said...

Priceless is another movie I like to watch with the sound off on a grande white wall. More modern yet classic. Great post! and love that necklace.

Cats inspried by kittens said...

Belle du Jour
Breathless!!1
Bonjour Tristesse
Party Girl
Talented Mr. Ripley
The Philadelphia Story
Blow Up
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Ciao Manhattan
Last Tango in Paris
Masculin Feminin

Nina (Femme Rationale) said...

hi! first time on your blog...love your style and your blog. i found it thru shrimpton couture. your necklaces are just gorgeous!

as for my style movies:

two for the road
charade
romeo & juliet (w/leo)
in the mood for love
2046
great expectations (w/paltrow)
clueless
empire records
pretty in pink
easy rider
almost famous
the royal tenenbaums

Stephanie Clayton said...

oh so gorgeous! i love your style.
that necklace is to die for...and the prada boots, omg....very unexpected with sequins and tulle!
WOW.

What is Reality Anyway? said...

super gorgeous, and Audrey would want your hair too.

Camilla said...

I can't belive no ones mentioned FACTORY GIRL!!! I could watch that movie a million times and never get sick of it...the dresses, the art, the earrings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dofdqP8CaU0

the white, lace dress and the green headband is an outfit that is absolutely to die for!

Emilie said...

Cabaret
La Femme Nikita
The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant

fuastine jardín said...

Off the top of my head...

Survive Style 5+
Kamikaze Girls
Barbarella
Clockwork Orange
Solaris
Holy Mountain (if you haven't seen this you need it immediately)
Bonnie & Clyde
Belle de Jour
Suspiria
Doctor Zhivago
Jigoku
The Little Prince
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Loves of a Blonde
Valerie and her Week of Wonders
Daisies
The Ruling Class
Amarcord
Touch of Evil
CQ
Fanny and Alexander
AB FAB (Ok, it's TV)
Like Water for Chocolate
Return to Oz
Harold and Maude
Fahrenheit 451
Buffalo '66
and of course... Grey Gardens

Anything by:
Sergio Leone
Godard
Hitchcock
Kubrick
John Waters
Wes Anderson
Fellini

fuastine jardín said...

Oh how could I forget!
Biya el Khawatim
Bent el Hares (La Fille du Gardien)

And any and all classic (1950s-70s) Bollywood; anything wtih Asha Bhosle or Lata Mangeshkar...

Anonymous said...

I love your 21st century Audrey outfit...edgy and chic all at the same time! My fave style movies would include:

Like most everyone here agrees
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
How to Marry a Millionaire

but also for that 20's and 30's style I love
Singin in the Rain
Chicago
and anything Greta Garbo wore. I mean who else can make pajamas look so sophisticated and chic?!!

Anonymous said...

desperately seeking susan is always a go to for me... this may be a little random, but there are a lot of well dressed women in old vincent price movies. particularly vulnavia in the abominable dr. phibes. also love margot kidder in brian de palma's sisters.

Eyeliah said...

I like how the outfit is shot in tease photos, not once showing the whole look. That skirt I bet is amazing, it looks long!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love your blog! You are so chic, and cute and beautiful at the same time.

For movies of style:

Memories of a Geisha.
Atonement.
Pirates of the Carribean
Star Wars
Shakespeare in Love
Anything with the Tudors in it.
Sleepy Hallow
Evita
And Everything Audrey Hepburn.

kimmy said...

OMG - the sequins, the tulle, the jewellery, the edgy-ness is just to die for. I am obsessed with this outfit!!!

etinette said...

Virgin suicides
Frida

Cookie said...

First, let me say that I love your blog...and the jewelry? to. die. for.

Stylish Movies:
Mahogany (my fave)

Diva (a new fave, not for fashion so much as for sheer inspiration)

any old movie made before the 70's. I just love how naturally glamorous movie stars used to be.

Anonymous said...

Bernadette peters in "the jerk"!
Her character and clothing are vuunderful!

Carly said...

first of all i think your blog is just fantastic! you really know how to stay in tune with what you like and not just what's the current trends :)

movies that are inspiring to me...

1. phantom of the opera (with gerard butler) - the costumes are breathtaking and this movie gives 'marie antoinette' a run for its money! (not only is this one of my favourite movies, but it's one of my all time favourite stories; haunting, beautiful but sad, very french and a 'soaring gothic romance')

2. how to catch a thief. because nobody can pull off french riviera cool better than the french than grace kelly and cary grant

3. some like it hot. there's this one scene with marilyn's character in a cloche hat (i think), fur and a tight tight dress = she just looks so GLAM!

Anonymous said...

I am always personally inspired by the quiet beauty of Lost in Translation. It isn't supposed to be fashiony but the overall aesthetic make me want to create. And, Japan is freaking awesome.

Anonymous said...

Movie Suggestions...
the Born Losers
Harold and Maude
Amadeus
Cry Baby
The Graduate

for inspiration
City Lights
Cashback
Interview with a Vampire
the Virgin Suicides
Amelie

Liz said...

wow-where did you get those prada shoe booties? crazy cute!

Niki said...

This may be, um by far, my favorite costume of yours! Bravo!

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

@ liz: the pradas came from barney's last summer.

xog

Nika said...

Sex in the City
The Lover (got to love that fedora)
The Devel Wears Prada
Foxy Brown

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Read about you in the LA times Image section. Beautifully done blog with inspire styles. As for movies. Her are some that I think need to be mentioned for there style:

The Dreamers
Elizabeth
The Red Villon
Out of Africa
Auntie Mame
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Chocolate
Eat Drink Man Woman

Sarah

Miss Dexter said...

The whole outfit is cute!!

Shari Paige said...

I can't believe there was no mention of Liz Taylor in Butterfield 8.