3.20.2009

{ locks i love } louise brooks



though history gives us a gross of glamour girls to look to for guidance, few have cut as iconic an image as louise brooks ~ the silent film star remembered for her boyishly chic bob:



nicknamed "the girl with the black helmet," she is credited with one of the most influential, enduring hairstyles of all time, one that has been reinterpreted on many a recent runway:


en blonde: chanel haute couture, fall 2008


en noire: yves saint laurent, fall 2008


en courant: 3.1 philip lim, fall 2009 (via gobackstage)

and today in new york, the spirit of la louise is alive and well,
en la glamourai:


sisley sweatercoat, gap turtleneck, barbara bui leather skirt,
verace sunnies, vintage bag, alice + olivia booties


40 comments:

Unknown said...

ohhh nice job! I like how you kept your ends stick straight to give it a more modern edgy look. Though I would love to see it half under, half flipped a bit like picture 2 down the road too. When its super short its easier to totally change it up don't you find?

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

you have the perfect hair for a cut like that. i would end up with a frizzy bowl cut.

The Girl said...

These are great cuts! Last night I was actually trying to find some short- with- bangs styles because I need to get my hair cut soon, and I also wear it short with bangs. I think I might go for the Chanel one. Thanks for the images!

Yuka said...

FANTASTIC!! looks sooooo good on you!

kittenmasks said...

That hair looks fantastic on you! Love the bangs!

ilikestuff said...

The cut looks great on you! I went through a little stage when I was obsessed with Louise Brooks. I watched Pandora's Box and made my mom create a halloween costume for me using an original late 1920's dress pattern! I still love her. In fact, she's my profile pic on my blog :)

Brigadeiro said...

Those booties are so cute! As is your haircut ;)

Katy said...

I LOVE it! You look amazing, and your outfit just cements your amazingness!

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Katy Perry's been doing the whole "girl with the black helmet" too. Love the jewlery on your shirt

chelsea said...

Fantasmic haircut!

Elisa said...

Wow, must've taken some effort to pull together this post!

I would look ridiculously awful with hair like that. It sort of unintentionally did for a while when I was growing out my hair from a pixie cut...never again.

Anonymous said...

Love your hair cut, and your leather skirt is beautiful.

Greg Kessler said...

so beautiful. its great the way you play decades upon themselves.

Laura @ The World Looks Red said...

wow, it looks absolutely amazing! It's so straight and smooth. Great look.

Manja said...

Wow, that cut looks great on you! Kudos, not many people can pull off this awesome look!
I also noticed that Louise's haircut is used as inspiration a lot recently. For example at Germany's Next Topmodel in a red version http://www.prosieben.de/imperia/md/images/lifestyle_und_magazine/topmodel4/_maedchen_galerien/maria/galerie/germanys-next-topmodel-maria-021-sendung-05-303_404_Oliver_S_-_ProSieben.jpg

irena said...

this blog os truly amazingggg!!!

A Stylized Hysteria said...

You look so great with this haircut! I want to reach through my computer and feel up your skirt- it's lovely.

style-magnet said...

You pull that haircut off PERFECTLY. I just discovered your blog recently & I AM IN LOVE.

Nia said...

adorable.

Anonymous said...

love the hair. curious to know what the back looks like.

Anonymous said...

HA!! Yes, I LOVE IT!!!
Sooo... I write a blog ABOUT bob haircuts. I'm going to feature you as my bob haircut girl of the week next week.
http://thebobhaircutgirl.blogspot.com

Ummmm... I read your blog everyday and I love it to pieces. My ultimate favorite.
I had no idea you were a bob haircut fan.

p.s. The bob looks AMAZING on you.

Anonymous said...

timeless. i wish i had the guts to pull off somethin like that

Anonymous said...

I am obsessed with your DIY necklace!

Oh... The Vintage Society is back! Finally!

Rebecca Jane said...

that hairstyle is so edgy and fabulous - I don't think I could pull it off but I love it all the same

chloe said...

hey, we have similar hair! although mine is a bit longer now (and its copper)
a couple of people mentioned louise brooks when i had it done and it made me smile! x

Anonymous said...

Your hair is adorable! I love that you posted it with the Louise Brooks and runway shots.

Chomy said...

O M G...the hair is absolutly becoming on you. didnt think u cld look any cooler but u never seem to AMAZE me!!!! u r BOMB Ms Glamourai!! o yes indeedy!

Christine said...

i love love love your necklace :D and your hair!!! i wish i could pull off a hairstyle like that :)

lambandlynx said...

Oh, Louise, how I love her! She lived in my city at the end of her life, and the film & photo museum where I work recently did an exhibition of her iconic film stills, along with some personal ephemera -- my favorites were the biographies of herself in which she'd feverishly scribbled things into the margins like "SCANDALOUS LIES!", and juicy gossip about various starlets and studio heads. :)

Anyhow, Louise is the ultimate in offhand glamor, and you are channeling her beautifully.

-Leeann

http://lambandlynx.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The new hair looks awesome! Do you flat iron?

PearlsAndGreenTea said...

Love your style!

Aline said...

love the hair...you look sooooo fabulous!

joliedove said...

I love your boots!!! To die for! Can you just get them in the US?

La-la-lovin the hair

Unknown said...

my oh my, what a bold move! i recently chopped all my hair off as well. it's veryyy liberating. and shampoo lasts longer....


PSLOVETHEALICE+OLIVIABOOTSSSS

Seriale-modeuse said...

The cut is perfect on you :)

alamode said...

love love love the new cut,you look amazing! I tried the same cut last year and i looked like a walking penis.

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

thanks everyone! it's fun to try a new look ~ and the best thing about short hair is it's so easy to change!!

my hair's pretty straight naturally so i don't do too much to it daily ~ sometimes a quick flat iron if i sleep on it funny, very little product... all the work is in getting quality cuts + color.

xoxoglam

Anonymous said...

this hairstyle looks good too, but prefer your old hairstyle.

{Tara} said...

Love the new locks ala Louise...and alliteration...LOL.

Slanelle said...

i totally love your shoes!