3.06.2009

{ caution } glam at work

thank you to everyone who left comments on my last post ~ you all got me so fired up to conquer this diy! i'm still not quite ready to call it complete, but here's what we've got so far:



thoughts?



speaking of works in progress, you may have noticed some changes creeping onto this page lately ~ to be its glammy, glittery best, i figure the blog needs regular makeovers as much as my closet
and i do! but renovation always creates unwanted debris, so if any of these alterations continue to limit your access to or enjoyment of this site, please let me know (as specifically as possible) and i'll do my best to fix it!

xoxoglamourai

44 comments:

Emilie said...

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

That came out pretty awesome. colors are nice esp the blue.

Jamie said...

awesome idea. my first thought was that it looks like a bib. i think that's easily fixed & really who am i to comment on your glamour!

chi chi loves chop chop said...

I love what you did!!! So fabulous!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this!!!!

What we four say said...

I attempted a DIY similar to this, but mine is not finished yet either, the shape isn't quite right and it needs to be more random, my OCD was working against me. Yours looks great! You can see mine here, if you are interested. Thanks for the inspiration

http://prettyprettypirate.blogspot.com/2009/03/marni-fall-09-diy.html

Cassiopeia said...

Wow, thats amazing! jealous of ur talents :-)
How's the bib beneath made?

Xxxc

http://clothestohealabrokenheart.blogspot.com/

Eli said...

you hit it right on the dot!

Anonymous said...

so gorgeous! even i was wondering....what material is the bib?

Unknown said...

Hey I love your blog.

This is looking great. I think you can allow the pins etc to 'overflow' a little outside the perimeter? That's gonna look like it'd explode into your face - wild. And it'll highly compliment your glam/rock look(just a thought)

Cheers
Alice

Katy said...

It's amazing and I can't wait to see you wear it!

Anonymous said...

like the anthropod theme going on here. really like, the spider next to...Jesus??

Anonymous said...

utterly amazing.

Jane said...

love the new layouts and its looking pretty amazing

Come check out http://vintage-tea.blogspot.com/

x

The Spicers said...

Absolutely beautiful!
I want one.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. you're amazing! that is one gorgeous piece!

dirtyflaws said...

this is rad

Revolution Malibu said...

Super fab! Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So stoked to find your site only last week via Sea of Shoes. You are a Wonderful inspiration! Thank you for being bold in your style and opening the door for others to be that way too and also for your diy-ness - yours is a very exciting blog!!

fash said...

absolutely beautiful. where on earth did you pick up all those creepy-crawlies? i've been looking for the perfect spider brooch for an age and there you are with several!

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

thanks for the encouragement everyone!!!

i'm already working on 2 more (another in black w/ a slimmer shape + a spring version), so when this is finished i'll use the others to post a tutorial. but first, some answers to your questions:

@ Cassiopeia & unicorn107: the bib is made of 2 layers of double satin, each one with fusible interfacing. i tried it first with lightweight canvas, but realized quickly that the weight of the baubles requires a full bodied fabric. it ties with grosgrain ribbon @ the back.

@ fash: i've been collecting bug jewelry for about 6 years now! i have quite a trove!!! most of them have come from ebay, the rest from antique stores.

let me know if you have any other questions, and i will address them in the upcoming tutorial.

xoxoglamourai

irmiana said...

Love Love Love it!

That's three capital Ls!

Hope you don't mind me linking you at my blog :)

xoxo

Mom Fashion World said...

oh wow, you have a great talent!
i know you have a good future in designing.
this thing you did is absolutely amazing!
can't wait how you wear it.

http://momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

eLLy* said...

BRILLIANT! Close enough to make it to the runway. I have the exact same firefly too! Oh, have I told you that you remind me of Anna Tsuchiya?

Islandia Lane said...

Love the direct link your daily wears - I don't remember that before.

lrsboulder said...

I think your version is actually laid out better than the inspiriation.

YnR said...

Love your new page and Love your new project!

STYLE DU MONDE said...

It's awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

xx

Krysta Marie said...

looks stunning darling- can't wait to see you wear it!

Brigadeiro said...

You're amazing!
xx

Jasmin said...

I ADORE you and your blog! Love the new features! I posted you as one of my favourite bloggers recently, check it out if you want to!

http://jajayes.blogspot.com/2009/03/bloggar-glamourai.html

It's in swedish, but with a brief translation at the bottom :)

Keep on being glamourous!
xx Jasmin

ten thousand things said...

amazing ! you've inspired me to make one!

http://www.ten-thousand-things.blogspot.com

caroline said...

this is awesome!i love the spiders in it!
xox
ps. your blog rocks!

Tamia said...

Love it! This is exactly what I had in mind.

Unknown said...

Yummy!
You should try one where you leave the edges distressed (on the fabric base) sort of shredding around the edges. It would be a nice dichotomy against the glit of the rhinestones

Anonymous said...

fabulous necklace,

http://balmainbazaar.blogspot.com/
love your blog
link?

Anonymous said...

Wow, been following your blog for justabout a month and I must say, you f*cking rock!!! I only wish I had an ounce of your coolness!

Anonymous said...

Such a brilliant idea -- it looks so great.

Anonymous said...

Really, really cool!

Anonymous said...

what a good idea and it turnend out so amazing beautiful!

Dewi Utari said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE....!!!! I love your D.I.Y. great job:)

Check my blog (Indonesian urban fashion culture)

http://dewiutari.blogspot.com/

The Girl said...

That is so gorgeous!
You inspired me to go and buy a bunch of vintage brooches so that I can make one myself. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

the DIY bib looks AWESOME!

irena said...

dear glamourai,

any tips on making this diy? like what stuff ti stick up on that bib? i think i dont hav enough brooches/pins... any ideas on what other stuff can i use? the one u made is bautiful!!!!!!!