10.29.2011

{ dia } de los muertos




{ photos by zooey grossman, who coincidentally shot me for THIS and THIS }

for me, the halloween festivities are kicking off this evening. i'm planning to channel this planet blue shoot and throw together a glammed-up dia de los muertos situation. somehow, i suspect i still won't be able to top THIS PAST COSTUME. ah well, what are you going to be??

40 comments:

Taci said...

I cannot wait to see your makeup!
I'm dressing it down this year, and using my boy-short hair and petite frame to my advantage. I make an awesome Justin Bieber. ;)

Anonymous said...

so fantastic. this is such my dream costume.

Michelle's Style File said...

Whoah- that is scary!

x
Michelle
www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow love it!!

xx

http://theparallelmagazine.blogspot.com/

SWK said...

I'm going to be your typical "sexy cat girl." It was a last minute decision so of course all the GOOD costumes are gone. So i just settled for some black cat ears...and i'll dress up my outfit with some sexy black boots.

Can't wait to see what you do this year. I'll be waiting for pics!!

Bri said...

Love these photos, the make up is brilliant! I'm going as Quorra from Tron, even found the light up EL Wire to stitch into my costume!

S said...

The mexican día de los muertos is aesthetically perfect. The best mix of creepy and funny. Love it!

xxx

singinonmymind.blogspot.com

Leila Mekhdiyeva said...

I'm scared :) lol, just joking this is great!!

xx Leila Bella

http://leilabellz.blogspot.com

Fashion Gossip said...

This is really scary, loool! K.

laura_fash said...

Oh oh. I would not hang out with the model!! Scaryyyyy. I am working during Halloween so no festivities for me but enjoy dear!
X

roha said...

love it! truly scary...but looks like a loooot of work!
xx romi
rohafashion

FashionFlirt said...

It looks really scary ;)

http://fashionflirtblog.blogspot.com/

kisses, Jasmin

Ophelia said...

Scary, yet still quite stunning!

http://cestlavieophelia.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I love Zoey Grossman's work! This shoot is amazing. I can't wait to see your take on it!

♥ Gina Michele
CrochetClouds.com

WILDFIRE said...

I am still totally pbsessed with your plastic surgery victim costume! <3

XO Babo

Angeles Almuna said...

Cool post!
You must visit my Halloween Couture Post...I hope you like it!
Kisses and happy Halloween!

www.angelesalmuna.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angeles-Almuna-Design/108392002512648

Liv said...

The plastic surgery victim was sick, in the best possible way! Based on that awesomeness I have no doubt you'll kill it this year. The make-up is amazing!

http://idlefascination.blogspot.com/

Islandia Lane said...

This is my exact costume idea as well! Maybe not so glammed up for me but more like the enchanted skull with lots of color and glitter. I am so excited to do my makeup!! Can't wait to see how yours turns out :-)

Aubrey and Melissa said...

Wow that make up is insane! Can't wait to see yours.

dlaw said...

This does nothing to teach about Dia de los muertos and only serves to exploit a culture. They are a culture, not a costume. Unless you celebrate dia de los muertos, you do NOT and should NOT wear the makeup.

Almoraima said...

Unos looks fantásticos y estilosos.
Adoro este blog.

http://www.theoutfitsofmydreams.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

shes a horrible photographer i dont know why people care

oh ya they dont.

smartfashioned said...

Love the Make-up!

Anonymous said...

Dear Glamourai: would you please consider doing a post about chic backpacks? or is that an oxymoron?

Emily said...

i'm going to do this too! love it!

www.thestylemaponline.com

stylish fox said...

so morbid, sou amazing :) have a nice day

Johnny said...

Scary stuff!!!!!

Nene said...

OMG this is really scary...

Anonymous said...

Way to dilute a part of a beautiful culture!
Oh should I mention the lack of creativity?
All for the sake of "fashion" and tacky trends...

Abby said...

I was a "Sugar Skull" from Dia De los Muertos for the past two nights! It was such an awesome costume, and I got tons of comments on it. Enjoy your Halloween!

http://tinypic.com/r/t8u61c/5

Abby said...

That's the URL to a pic of my face makeup


http://tinypic.com/r/t8u61c/5

Anonymous said...

That is incredibly racist. It doesn't matter if other fashion blogs and magazines perpetuate it, it's insensitive and disrespectful to Mexican culture.

And now you've encouraged many of your followers and readers to do the the same and appropriate a culture that isn't theirs so they can feel "exotic" and "foreign" one day of the year. Good job.

esclava de la pluma said...

This make up is inspired on Silvia Ji's Day of the Death collection. I have two of her paintings, she's amaizing. Great work!

Samantha said...

i did this on Saturday! such a fun costume.

patrickwilde-welde said...

nice hsoot!

karin said...

Sounds great, Dia de los Muertos is a mexican tradition and the custome is called LA CATRINA,is the death dressed like a woman.Don´t forget to post the pictures.Kisses from www.stylepicture.blogspot.com

Planet Blue said...

hey babe! so flattered you were inspired! we are so interested in this culture and celebration, we wanted to show what an inspiration it is to us. the mexican culture runs through many of us here, and we love it! thank you to those who commented and understood it as beauty more than fashion.

with love and respect,
planet blue

Cushion Cut Pave Engagement Ring said...

OOhhh god.
It so much scary.
How much effort and time she must have took to look so scary?

yasemin said...

may i please learn the second black dress label?fell in love with it?

O B S E S S I V I S I O N said...

Great great great! Halloween is yet another excuse to art direct: http://obsessivision.com/projects/the-kid/. Movie coming soon.