as you may have gathered from the fun, flashy widget in my top right sidebar, i've teamed up with designer brian atwood to debut his new b brian atwood line, which is officially launching on august 25th via saks.com. every day this week, a new style from the collection is being unveiled on my page ~ and i'm as excited to see them myself as i am to share them with you!!
a few weeks ago, brian invited me to stop by the photoshoot for his print campaign (the photo above is a tiny preview ~ how dashing does the designer look in this cameo?!), and i seized the occasion to put on my best journalistic kicks. interview below!
in many ways, shoe making seems more akin to architecture than to fashion design. how did you learn this craft, and who were your role models as a young designer?
when i was younger i loved building model houses, but it wasn't until i started working at gianni versace that I learned the art of making shoes. it is like building a house. you need the correct foundation or the shoe doesn't support the wearer.
was it your background in modeling that inspired you to go into design?
i always knew that i wanted to be a designer. i started off in ready-to-wear and somehow found my love of shoes. modeling just allowed me to see the world and meet the designers that i would like to work with.
and how has that experience informed your work?
it gave me a broader viewpoint on design as well as what women want.
when designing a new collection where do you begin? does it start with developing new last shapes, materials, etc.?
first it starts with last shapes and heels that you would like to see, then you begin with your color card and material to follow. after that it all comes together as your vision evolves.
over the last couple years, shoe designs have gotten more outrageous than ever; each brand seems determined to outdo the others in structure, weight, height, etc. yet your designs maintain a classic appeal while still looking fresh. how do you negotiate this competitive scene but continue to set yourself apart?
i love all of the outrageous designs that are out there, but i do believe that women always need classic shoes with a twist. when clothing is busy you need cleaner accessories. if our shoes seem on the classic side then we "amp" it up in the height to give it an edge.
if your fans could only buy one of your shoes this season, which would you recommend and why?
from the "b" collection they should buy leise in silver metallic [in the middle picture above] or paradis in the patchwork leopard print boot [debuting in tomorrow's sidebar!].

52 comments:
What a great project to work on Kelli! Congrats! The shoes look fab!
xxx
http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/
OMG I LOVE THE LAST PAIR with the leopard print.
xx
CLASSY AND SASSY
Congrats! This is a great project!
Much love,
B
Love the shoes on that second photo!
Congrats - such an exciting to designer to have the chance to work with!
www.twinkletoes-golddangles.blogspot.com
I bet it's fun working with him! Love the last pair of heels, the colour, the pattern and the metal-looking sturdy heels look gorgeous!
xx
What up! Amazing shoes! I love to know!
Have a lovely day!
Xoxo
Susie
www.myfashionview.com
wow amazing shoes and I can't wait to see more!!
xx Olga
La Petite Olga
I've gotta have the last pair. Those are amazing! Oh, this is just so exciting!!!
amazing
pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com
fb: pinklemonincrystal
Gorgeous shoes! I love those boots!
♥ Gina Michele
CrochetClouds.com
You're sooo lucky! this preview looks great, i'm looking forward to see the whole collection!
xxx
singinonmymind.blogspot.com
The boots are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
Ahhh! I have to have those boots! Gorgeous!!
www.raesstylefile.blogspot.com
he is truly SO handsome, and that ad photo is stunning... can't wait to see the rest!! i'd die to have those middle shoes, my goodness. love this collaboration!!!! <3shelby
www.makemesparkly.blogspot.com
Incredible. Brian Atwood and his footcandy are very fabu. I have a Rachel Zoe moment every time I see a posh pair. =)
Need it? Want it? Crave it? Satisfy Your Cravings For Celebrity Style and All Things Stylish and Sweet
you are an amazing journalist... such fabulous questions!!!
xxx
www.ladyalamode.com
Can you please capitalize you letters where appropriate?
Lovely!! Congrats!
Loved this post, a great read! Thanks for the interesting info, and lovely pictures!
x jazzandcocktails.blogspot.com
Wow!! This is a fantastic interview with such an amazing designer! I LOVE his shoes and they always look so fabulous!!
www.MrsCapretta.com
Recipes Fashion Marriage
OMG! Absolutely adore those boots! So gorgeous!!
Amazing !! Cant wait to see more.
xxLily
goldandgray.com
sweeeeet shoes!
theoutfitdiaries.blogspot.com
I am really excited for this debut and can't wait to to see the collection at Saks! What a great designer to collaborate with, and also the experience to work with Versace is amazing! You deserve it!
What a fabulous collabo! You are THE person to showcase Brian's glamorous collection! Those boots are to die for Kel! Can't wait to see you modeling the line!
xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!
Haute Khuuture Blog
These shoes are amazing! What a fun project! Your blog always inspires me.
Chelsea
www.heelsandsunkissedcurls.com/
love the boots, and those glittery heels!!! they are incredible!!!!
http://www.soulofashopper.com
this guy is seriously talented!! i absolutely love his taste in footwear. i have a friend who is a shoe designer and it is a difficult job to say the least. very cool.
xx, http://wordbyjessie.com/
very nice! I know it may be too much of a cliche BUT I looove shoes! just ordered the Zoe boots - can't wait!
Nice proyect Kelly! It's nice to see all your blogger work is so nicely being rewarded and it's great that you are the one telling us about his collection!
LOVE those ombre leopard shoes with the purple! amazing.
january, x
jessicajanuary.com
Love the shoes on that second photo! anyway, congrats! gonna be a great project!
Oh man, that first picture makes me weak at the knees.
the boots in the first shot are just to die for. they are freaking beautiful!!!
xo
francesca
http://www.frankvinyl.com
Wow! how exciting!
Join my GIVEAWAY!
Unfortunately, most of the shoes sold lacking proper foundation, which is absolutely essential the higher heels grows. For most of the designers the essence of the shoe lays in it's strikingly trendy creation, but like everything in life if it doesn't have right base/support it doesn't last long. Where can we find this brand?
this is amazing! can't wait i have to check it out on saks.com - awesome collab.
www.dragonnfruit.com
That's so great that you got to interview him! The shoes are lovely as well :)
La Petite Marmoset
Congratulations! What a fantastic opportunity. The Leise is amazing-can't wait to shop it on saks.com.
Keep it up, girl! You're a true inspiration!
xxoo
imwithbeautiful.blogspot.com
Those boots are FABULOUS!
xx Grace
Dream-Boating
These designs are TIGHT. The boots are knock-outs and I love the purple gradient to orange. Can't wait to see what's to come!
Très Awesome - Chicago Street Style
http://www.tresawesome.com/
I ADORE the mixture of black and brown on those gorgeous knee-length leathers.... It's been a favorite color combo of mine for ages. Not for the timid, but really...let's start spreading the word that it's okay to wear the two together!
www.thefoldlondon.com
what a fantastic opportunity!!
loooove them all! xoxo
http://just-jillian.blogspot.com
Do you consider it glamorous that I drooled on my keyboard? Boots? Yes!
Nice interview, too!
wow, you are so lucky!! excited to see the shoes
<3 Alison
alisonscampusfashion.blogspot.com
Awesome, great project! The shoes are beautiful, so elegant.
http://thesignaturebow.blogspot.com/
NEW POST: Vintage Living
Ok, who doesn't LOVE these shoes! They are so HOT! The boots are awesome and anything with Lepoard has to be in my closet ASAP! Brian Atwood really knows how to design a great shoe :)
I've always admired Atwood's work but never knew he's so handsome! Can't wait for this.
I love these boots and Atwood's work!That's amazing:)
Your blog is awesome!
I'd love to share a pretty thing with you too! It's about a fashion game for women that I've just found out on FB http://apps.facebook.com/date-deadline/ Have fun :) xx
Those boots are so inspiring.
Stunning shoes! I really love the paradis because of the patchwork leopard print. <3
Post a Comment