10.22.2010

{ how to } tie your own turban

you all know that i'm trying to grow my hair out, and have been brainstorming creative ways to hide its awkward in-between stages. enter the faux-turban! this fun headwrap works with almost any haircut ~ and luckily, all you need is a lightweight, vintage silk scarf (30" square is ideal) and a little ingenuity to pull the look off!!
{ outfit above originally posted in full yesterday }
begin by folding your square-shaped scarf on the diagonal, like so:

center the long, folded side of the scarf at the nape of your neck...

...and pull the left & right-side pieces up to the top of your head. then, knot them once...

...like so:

next, pull the same pieces you just knotted around to the back again:

and tie them into a double-knot:


tuck the tail-ends of that knot under the side pieces:

finally, grab the piece hanging out in front and pull it up and under, tucking the tip of it into that first knot you made at the top of your head...

...and voila!! the result is a little bit rockabilly, a bit boho ~ and totally easy to execute (seriously, it takes about 4 seconds from start to finish). so have fun with it, let me know in the comments if you have any questions, and please post photos to my facebook page if you decide to work the look yourself!
-----
{ PS: for more inspiration on how to wear it, i've rocked the look HERE, HERE, and HERE! }
~ like the idea? then be sure to check out my other scarf-centric DIY project!!

74 comments:

Zarna said...

i MUST try this! i have short hair too and i'm always lookin for ways to change it up! thanks for the tips!

stayfabulous,
zarna
http://zarnasrunway.blogspot.com

Eli said...

this is great! I have pretty long hair but am still looking for ways to keep it out of my face cause it's annoying and I'm trying to get it longer. This will work perfectly, thank you!

LegendInHerOwnMind said...

I am headed to my closet right now to find scarves with which to make a turban. I actually made my very own turBAND today -- you might find this style equally handy for your current hair predicament. Check out the results here: http://legendinherownmind.blogspot.com/2010/10/diy-madness-head-case-part-2.html

Can't wait to try the scarf-turned-turban! Thanks for always offering inspiration :)

Tarah Zdunic said...

I am SO GLAD you posted this! I have tried the turban many times, but sadly to no avail. Not anymore!

www.shethejezebel.blogspot.com

GFS said...

Ask and I shall receive! I just asked you to do this tutorial like an hour ago and you listened to me!!!!

Thank you! LOL!

brooke said...

Definitely going to try this. I have pretty long hair, but I also pretty much hate doing anything with it ;)

Myy said...

I'e been dying to try this out for so long!!!
Thanks for the tips :)

Christina Caradona said...

oh my god, no i'm sure you look SO pretty even with the in between stages of hair growth. haha. I love the turban tutorial though!

CaliforniaCandy said...

You pull this off way better than most celebrities I've seen...

http://californiacandy.wordpress.com/

Cadmium said...

Wow! I'm always looking out for new ways to wear a scarf. Thank you.

Vanessa said...

I'm so glad you shared this! I've been excited about turbanizing some scarves

www.looselips-sinkships.com

Anonymous said...

I like it. It suits you well. Im fairly certain I would look like a man if I did that.

eli said...

Damn, if I knew this trick 2 years ago when I was growing my hair out...

eli
www.eli-a-porter.blogspot.com

Abbie♥ said...

sweet! never knew it could be that easy. thanks so much for this! nice top, btw :D

http://abbiespurpleroom.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Great tutorial!

Tiffany's Small World said...

thanks for sharing this

magdamagda said...

cool idea, i might try it out for photos at least! thanks!!

Tugba said...

GORGEOUS :) LOVE IT!

A
M
A
Z
I
N
G BLOG :)

fashion trends said...

I have always wondered about this and was actually going to ask you when I saw the post with you wearing one.

Hannah H said...

Thankyouuuuuuuuuuu! xx

Rachel said...

Thank you for this tutorial - it's great! On a side note, your hair looks great short! Don't grow it out!

Collette Osuna said...

I remember having short hair and dealing with that annoying "in between stage" that just makes you wanna hack it all right back off again.....this? is a fabulous solution!!!

Enter my Tulle Giveaway♥

classiq said...

I'd like to try it! so boho-chic

sara said...

You're so awesome! Love you!

Cae Fernandes said...

Love it!!!!!!

caefernandes.blogspot.com

Lupe Jelena said...

Thank youu! I´m also growing my hair out and it looks ridiculous sometimes, I usually wear silk scarves but I never knew hoy to tie them like this. Thanks!

Christina of Profresh Style said...

Your tutorial was by far, the easiest to comprehend. Thank you for conducting this! I've been doing it a much more complicated way-you've simplicated my life ;)

xx,
Christina
www.profreshstyle.com

Chelsey said...

Oh so chic! I don't know that I could pull it off as well as you!:)

http://www.bobachi.blogspot.com
http://www.bobachi.blogspot.com

The Village Idiot said...

so easy- i thought it would be way harder!
thanks!

Lo said...

My hair is about up to my shoulder, maybe a bit shorter, with bangs. I wonder if it will look good on me...
I guess I won't know til I try, thanks!

immortality-please.blogspot.com

Ella Belle said...

i don't think i have the balls to wear this style whatsoever. great tutorial though. what nail polish color is that? essie "jazz" possibly?

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

@ Ella Belle: haha, you're close! i'm currently wearing essie's 'playa del platinum'

XOGlamourai

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Just tried it with some fabulous vintage earrings and it looks very glamourous. Will come in very handy for rainy and humid days in Miami.

She Wears, She Shares said...

Thank you thank you. This diy was much needed. I've been wondering how to neatly and strategically hold this thin little fabric on my head. :)

Sylvia said...

thanks for the tutorial, kelly! i can't wait to try it. :)

i wander, i wonder

iamdahlingnikki said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I always wondered how you did it. I start the same way as you but I make a bow in the front. Will try your way soon. Great for days I don't wanna do my hair.

Among the Willows said...

i seriously live by this method. ive been doing it since janurary to try and grow my hair out!

Julie said...

GREAT post!!!

www.celebrityowned.com

Barcelonette (c) said...

love it. I have a video tutorial in my blog too

come visit if you want

www.barcelonette.net

Catherine said...

Thanks for the fantastic tutorial! What a cute idea - I'm definitely going to have to try it!

Also, beautiful scarf, btw!

Sam said...

I just tried this yesterday, inspired by one of your earlier posts. I wish I had this little how-to first, the end result would have been much better! Thanks, now I can get it right!

Alina said...

Great making-off with the puppet! :)


www.dionysha.blogspot.com

styledigger said...

Ok, I'm trying right now Wish me luck!

Kate said...

i love this. love love.

The Fancy Teacup said...

how darling! love the tip. I always wondered how to style my hair into a turban...thanks so much for showing how, can't wait to try it now!

www.thefancyteacup.com

diptea said...

love love love this tutorial. thanks a ton darling!

Miss DeltaG said...

THANK YOU!!!i love this turban!kiss

www.neovecchiostile.it

Rose said...

Perfection. As usual, your tutorial was perfectly timed, since I too am growing my hair out*. A swanky turban is the ultimate solution to my morning hair crisis...and a chic alternative to the typical fall hat.

Love what you are doing with your living space, can't wait to see the end result!

*Until I get impatient and that sleek little pixie starts looking oh so charming and practical again...

.. Jennifer .. said...

So cute and so easy! I totally tried this, and although I don't think it looks great on me, it's a perfect way to do something stylish with your hair ;)

Jennifer
http://www.oohfancythat.com/

Brigadeiro said...

Ooh! Thanks for the DIY! I can't wait to try this out!
xx

CatieBeatty said...

Thank you for posting this! I've been wanting to try it, cuz it looks so cute on short hair!

Anonymous said...

thank you, really!
I have tried this fold before, but I was always messing up the hair at some point. Reminds me of a those cleaning ladies, so cool! xaxaxa

www.milpares.com

Unknown said...

oh I'm so disappointed you're growing out your hair - it's really the best cut I've seen on you! And you do the elfish look so well...
I've tried the turban before without much luck - the proportion of head to face just hasn't worked... I'll give it another go with this. Thanks.

Madel said...

i did it and it was fantastic! super thanks to you!! :)

Naomi said...

Thank you for sharing this turban
post ;-)
your site is great!

Cindy Van Dyck said...

Such an awesome idea

Unknown said...

Thx for tutorial!

Blonde Caviar said...

Love this look!

WWW.BlondeCaviar.com

Check out my vintage boutique that just launched!!

Man Repeller said...

Hey girlfriend, cool post. I did a very similar one a few weeks ago! see it here: http://www.manrepeller.com/2010/10/diy-your-own-turband.html

Beckerman Girls said...

OMG Kelly!!! IS that SAMANTHA the Manequin from Brimmy???? Did she get the whitewash!! LOL
LOVE YOU!!!!!!!
xoxoxoxo
Chloe, Cai and Sammy

www.beckermanbiteplate.com

Christine Ver Raitt said...

Ingenious! way better than spending $$ on a real one.

Feed My Sole

Carolyn said...

may have to try this since you make it look so darling!

kelli said...

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great!!! I've always wondered how to do this!

ANIK said...

thanks for the tip! looks great on you!!

www.montrealinstyle.com

poca said...

Thanks!!

I work with this lady featured on Advanced Style and she is always wearing her turban in fun ways: http://advancedstyle.blogspot.com/2010/10/style-with-heart.html


Thanks again for the great tutorial!

xo Poca
www.stylespotrun.com

Imogen Andersen said...

OMG! I always dreamed of doing that, but i never knew how!
Thx for the tip!!!


Imogen :D

xoxo Mimi said...

Thnks for the tutorial doll:)

heelsandlipgloss.blogspot.com

pokadrian said...

love your fashion styles & DIY tutorials and thanks for posting it!

laura said...

Oh my goodness, I tried it and I love it. I never want to take it off. Thank you for the inspiration!

Kimberly said...

This is awesome; thank you. I adore this look.

MochaBelle said...

Thanks for the instructions! I posted a link to this site so that my readers could try it out as well!

www.mochabelle.com

Birdie! said...

I know you posted this ages ago, but I came back to say that I'm so GLAD I found it again. I was gifted a vintage Ferragamo scarf that I had no idea what to do with - until I remembered you'd posted this little tutorial! Thanks!

ECLECchic said...

Oh, thank you for the idea. i have linked from my blog to this post. Congratulations. i love your blog and your DIY section (http://eclecchic.blogspot.com/2011/07/igualmente-chic-en-verano.html). xxx