6.15.2010

{ short story }

after inundating us with years' worth of wonderfully humongous heels, fashion's been trending towards littler leg lifts for several seasons now. but it was marc jacobs' fall 2010 collections (for both louis vuitton and his eponymous lines) that cemented their au currant currency. there's something very serene, very old-fashioned-femme, in wearing a kitten heel. it's at once a throwback and a way forward.

i've enjoyed pulling some old (nearly vintage!) favorites out of the back of my wardrobe, and have found them suddenly more alluring than ever before. these are the three i can't stop wearing:

{ glittering gold brocade beauties by prada }

{ black satin classics by christian lacroix }

{ shagreen stunners by helmut lang ~ i adore the humor & comfort provided by their rubber-band back straps! }

how do kitten heels make you feel? are you ready yet to find high style on a lower level?

48 comments:

jemina said...

i can smell another trend brewing, kitten heels definitely lend the feminine allure to any outfit, i say, bring 'em on!, xoxo

The Village Idiot said...

oooo i love the helmut langs- i love accessories that have a sense of humor or that are "different!

Contact said...

ive never been a fan of kittin heels, but i do like the last pair.. and the gold pair will never get old!

<33
heelsandinspiration.blogspot.com

D&D said...

i always do a kitten so i don't topple over. i think they're very 1950's.
look at the gams on you girl!!!!

FASHION SNAG said...

They all look great on you!

www.FashionSnag.com

Lynzy said...

Oh I don't know if I like short heels as much as my highest platforms! But I am willing to give anything a go! These are beautiful shoes!

xo,
Lynz

http://fromskirtstoskillets.blogspot.com

celine said...

I'm totally with you on this. I have always loved a kitten heel...for exactly the reasons you mention. They are totally a throwback to Old Hollywood glamour but can also feel very "new". Love the ones pictured here, especially the HLs!

flnw.blogspot.com

Tania Asnes said...

I think high heels are a pretty sexist fashion element. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy wearing them, but it's safe to assume that guys have much healthier feet on average...

Fashionistable said...

I have kitten heels on today....hooray I am on trend :-).

Anonymous said...

My goodness, do I love a kitten heel! It's been favorite of mine for some time. Besides it's demure elegance and sophistication, it's also an easy way to set yourself apart in a world of 6" platforms.

Love these!

www.hilaryinspired.com

Das What She Said said...

I still feel more myself in sky high heels, but kitten heels are way comfier! Sometimes I throw them on if I know I'm dancing a lot or if I'm at an important function where if I trip, people would notice.

http://daswhatshesaid.blogspot.com/

Leia's Delights said...

I've always loved kitten heels! Mostly because I can't walk in uber-high heels. Those ones are so pretty!

Mandy said...

I love the prada shoes.
It`s my first visit on ur blog and I love it.
You have a fantastic style !

www.luxladys.blogspot.com

Ginta said...

I've been wearing them more and more lately. Foot looks so sexy in them. They express quintessential femininity - they don't vulgarly scream "look at me!" but sophisticatedly remind others about your presence. Besides I literally run in my heels, so, they do less damage than higher ones.

Unknown said...

I've never really loved the kitten. Once it a while it works for me, but it seems like it's so non-commital. Like the shoe can't decide: "do I want to be a heel, or a slipper or a flat?" Just to be clear, I don't consider the second two shoes to be kitten-heels. To my mind, a kitten heel is quite low, like "court" shoes.

Rachel Tanski said...

I actually find the kitten heel much less stable than the big platforms! who knows why.. but i do have a few older pairs, maybe ill dig them out and give it another go.

Anonymous said...

mmm i am loving this new trend. there are so many woman that walk the streets looking like complete idiots not able to walk in the shoes they chose to wear. As much as its beautiful of course to see long legs, high off the ground, im excited to see a trend coming closer to earth! ROCK ON!! and, lets be serious, if marc's on it, its HOTTT.

xo, Kim www.eatsleepwear.com

Katy said...

I'm definitely ready, and these definitely suit me as I am a high school student!

Laura said...

I love your kitten heels but I have s of yet to find a lower heel I love, with the exception of the mui mui shoes from a few seasons ago I love them one day I will track down and buy a couple pairs from that collection...

Aimee said...

I don't know about the kitten heel. In theory I think it's great for when you just can't handle a high heel for whatever reason, but I often feel like they look strange on. Not that I haven't owned my share of them, but I got tired of kitten heels pretty quickly.


In Class, En Vogue

Jill GG said...

I love Kitten heels... they are always classic, but lately hard to find. Hopefully that changes soon! And they are great for moms like me that want to be stylin' but can't rock a toddler on one hip AND high heels!

Livi said...

those gold heels are simply fantastic!!!

samandlivi.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The last pair are FANTASTIC! I wore kitten heels to my prom this year, I could walk easily in them and if I do say so myself looked pretty darn good.

esther said...

I'm not a big fan for myself, for some reason I almost feel more wobbly in them than I do in a tall heel. Also I don't feel they do my size ten feet many favors, whereas when I'm practically on tiptoe in 5-inchers I feel more small of foot. :)
But that last pair is pretty hot, I must admit!

Unknown said...

You're so right, kitten heels always make me feel sexy! They'll never replace the uber-stilts in my closet, but they do have a place on the fashion forefront. I actually just wore out my favorite pair... Nine West's Oaks in brown croc. I have to find a replacement, so thanks for posting pretty and inspiring choices :)

http://cubiclechicblog.com

xo
Lindsay

Elaine said...

Kitten heels are cute but not for me. I like high or flat :)

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

wear in the world said...

Thank god for kitten heels. I love wearing high heels for about 20 minutes-- then my long, narrow feet start to ache. Glad this style is coming back just in time for me to start interviewing to enter the workforce, much more comfy!

I love the gold pradas!

arrow

gr said...

...finally!!!...for ages i would get the beginnings of a "'nice outfit scan'" and then there would be that inevitable zeroing in on my shoes usually from a pair of platform or very high pointy boots...i love and have been wearing the kittens in all colors and textures for ever...my favor ites being classic black leather...very ni!ce pictures by the way

Leslee said...

kitten heels are great for when you're on a rush and have to run errands that need major walking. They might be small but than can spice up an outfit that's just to casual.

Reddest Roar said...

Ah...Prada did kitten heels GOOD...

Anonymous said...

i dont see shoes, i only see your legs!!!

martina

Saima Style said...

I would agree with you that by virtue kitten heels have a strong err of femininity about them, whereas Louboutain-esque heels sexify a woman's legs. But two major reasons always bring me back to the 4" beauties - 1. i'm 5 feet short, 2. i find that most kitten heels are just plain ol' ugly!! luckily both of my reasons are mere perceptions of deficit and i think you've given me quite a bit of inspiration to look with different coloured shopping glasses next time I go on a relaxation retreat (i.e. shopping).

Islandia Lane said...

goodness I wish I could claim to pull those out of the back of my closet - they are divine!

kelli said...

I love all of these shoes, great selection!
http://www.beso.com/

Diana said...

I'm so happy this trend's coming back again..so never throw away a pair of shoes that is still wearable :)
PS: Love esp the shoes in the last pic

Diana
http://thegirloverboard.tumblr.com

daniel said...

Rubber bands. Woah! Great shoot.

Anna Corinne said...

I LOVE those first gold ones. like, so much. im going to steal them. :)

eyeofthetiger18 said...

Nothing classier than a pair of heels!

Fashion Tidbits said...

oh yes definitely!! comfort at last

thequietingmuses said...

Love the shoes, but kitten heels never seem to work for me.

http://thequietingmuses.blogspot.com/

Jennifer S. said...

Love the Prada shoes!! I prefer heels the high as the sky!!! The higher the better... :)

Jen
http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

Dana said...

I didn't think I was a dan of kitten heels, but if those are kitten heels, then I like them!
I always thought a kitten heel was like less than 1", sort a of like a ballet flat with a little peg stuck on the bottom... does that make sense?
In any case, I love your shoes, especially the gold ones!
~Dana
www.dailydoseofdana.tumblr.com

Brittany Sage said...

Yes! Love the kitten heel, especially being 5'10". Oh, and by the way, your legs look amazing!

A(squared) + M said...

Kitten heels? Not so much. I'm only 5'4" so whenever I put on heels they have to be high! Great post, you have a really great blog!

asquaredplusm.blogspot.com
asquaredplusm.blogspot.com
asquaredplusm.blogspot.com

xoxo Alex

Anonymous said...

Kitten heels? Oh yes please! I'm not that tall, but my feet are already asking for less heel and this style is the perfect compromise between flats and sky-high shoes! Love those satin Christian Lacroix...

www.twostylishpeasinapod.com

Rachel said...

Adore kitten heels and so glad they're on trend again! Actually wearing some today...they're my staple when my back or hip hurts too much for high heels or wedges, but flats are too casual for the office.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I've never stopped wearing kitten heels. I love them

The Photodiarist said...

I am the biggest fan if the big crazy shoe. But wow . . . I am loving this return to sanity! Shoes look like shoes now. Not like vehicles with brakes and wheels!