5.18.2010

{ flea market mavens } a complete survival guide

i spent three days of the last week in brimfield, massachusetts, flea marketing with my friends the beckerman girls (below, from left to right: sam, cailli & chloe). they'd flown cross-country from LA, while i drove four hours from NYC for the occasion. obviously, this is an activity we all take pretty seriously ~ albeit one that we consider serious fun!

we've each been hitting the fleas since we were kids, and thus understood certain basic rules of the ritual, like never wear anything 'fancy' (it hurts your hopes of haggling down prices), bring as much cash as you can afford, and make sure your cell phone is fully charged beforehand, in case you get separated from your pack. if you're shopping for clothes (we always are!), wear layers that can come off easily without risking indecency; there will be no changing rooms.

when discussing prices with a vendor, never ask 'will you take X for this?' instead, ask 'what's your best price?' often, they'll quote something lower than what you would've requested. and if you see something you love, buy it right away! it could be gone in an instant (especially if someone else saw you swooning over it).

beyond that, we agreed that there are a few things we wouldn't want to brave the fields without:

1. though we had rain the last day of our trip (when the top picture was taken), the days before demanded wide-brimmed hats to stay cool. remember you'll be outside for hours! 2. most markets are held in muddy cow pastures ~ wellies are the best way to keep your feet clean. just make sure to add in super-cushy insoles; they're always worth the extra 30 bucks! 3. all markets have dining tents, but if you want an option besides fried food or meat-on-a-stick, better bring your own. i always stash a granola bar in my bag; lollipops are also a good pick-me-up when the blood sugar starts to drop. 4. wet wipes! after digging through bins of rusted metals to find that perfect vintage piece, these babies will be your best friends. 5. measuring tape, to make sure that frame/table/rug will be the right size when you get it home. 6. a collapsible wheeled cart is essential if you're shopping for anything large, fragile, and/or heavy ~ particularly home goods. just be sure to observe market etiquette and leave it outside each tent as you go in for a peek. 7. a reusable water bottle and 8. sunscreen are absolutely de rigueur! 9. it only takes one trip to the port-o-potty to scare you into never forgetting hand sanitizer again. 10. a big bag to stash your survival kit & small-sized finds. i like this one because it can be carried as a tote, or converted into a backpack as the weight of your load grows. plus, it's made from repurposed materials ~ and after all, what is flea-marketing if not just glorified recycling?!

finally ~ and most importantly ~ arrive with an awesome attitude! not only will you have a better time, but vendors will be much more apt to give you a good deal if you give them a smile and some sincere respect. as with anything in life, if you choose to make it fun, it will be!!

PS: if you live in the US, click here or here to find flea markets in your state. neither is a completely comprehensive list, but they'll give you a great start!

20 comments:

Beny said...

Such a fun pic!


Love,
Beny Ricardo Sadewo
http://showoffdotnu.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hellooo from Paris ! I daily read your amazing blog and I really love your funny and tasty discoveries ! Your "originality", your authentic search to be unique !
I put the link of your blog on this french site with video on Iris Apfel !!! I have no blog, I am just a reader even if I never leave comment, I am faithfully there !!!
Isabelle's blog is huge and unique too !http://www.accrodelamode.com/index.php?
Sunny Side

cocojones said...

Great tips! It's so worth being properly prepared if you've made all the effort to get out there. I only wish I could find a decent flea market in or near London - if anyone knows of any, please, please give me a shout!
http://cocojones.tumblr.com/

Searching for Rosebud said...

Great piece! I've gone to markets forever and these are excellent tips. Will you show your finds soon?

A Shopaholic is loose said...

Hehe... Looks like great fun! ;0)

And... I can highly recommend the Hunter rain boots!

Hugs from
A Shopaholic is loose

Emijaa Jaaemil said...

Love the tips... definitely helpful!!

Stay blessed!

www.emijaajaaemil.com

EJ

Chris Wolfgang said...

I really really REALLY need to hit up a flea market now. Do the same markets pop up in the same places every year, or what? How does one locate the fun ones?

Joie de Viv said...

What a fun fun post! I need to find some friends who would like to go flea marketing with! My partner in crime (sister) moved away to college and we flea market very rarely nowadays. Love your survival kit!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

P.S. Be sure to visit and enter my First Giveaway!!!

punky said...

Cute Picture, I saw you guys on thursday, But didn't realize it was you...I just remember saying cute purse!
I love brimfiled
did you see Mary Kate? She was there too!

The Wh0le Story said...

You know, I used to go to flea markets ALL THE TIME with my mom and grandpa. I haven't been in years, and I should really give it a go again. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nickie Frye said...

While I was reading this & the list of flea markets my pot of lentils was boiling over in the kitchen. Upon discovering this, I tried to clean it up with a paper towel, starting a small kitchen fire! OMIGosh! Um, great post. ;) I'll be selling vintage clothes at the Alameda Antiques & Collectibles Fair this summer.

Anushka said...

You inspire me SO much! Thankyou for helping me break out of my style mould! I love your blog! :) xx

Unknown said...

This is the best post.. So much fun. And the part about the hand sanitizer had me cracking up.. Thanks for sharing!!

www.fashionofmysoul.blogspot.com

geri hirsch said...

amazing advice and ummmmmmm i want to go next year!

fashionsdirtylaundry said...

One of your best posts! I love it!

Emily Rose said...

wow no way! i was there this weekend too! i live on long island so i drove up for the occasion, stayed with some friends that live right near brimfield. i got some real real amazing things, it was my first time going, but defiantly not the last! too bad i didnt see ya around! however i did see the purple dinosaur!

Rebecca Jane said...

Such a great post! And some great flea-marketing tips.

Tina Z said...

Funny, I saw that purple/pink dino! My dad & bro have a booth every year at May's, across the street from J&J where that picture was taken. I love Brimfield! Every show is different, but May is the biggest followed by September, July is the smallest (and hottest).

Go Wed/Thursday/Friday in that order for the best stuff, and as early as possible in the morning. Same item will get marked up during the day as it finds itself at different booths!

And so true about being respectful to vendors- most of them have a passion for their business and enjoy talking with you about their goods. Be nice and if it's too expensive say thank you and have a good day. Don't get huffy or roll your eyes. Most are willing to negotiate at least a little, especially if the item you want is still there at the end of the day/weekend.

selina said...

oh i didn't know you and the beckerman girls were friends, what a cool family! you all seem to put together the best outfits, lovely to see

Anonymous said...

Another great site for flea markets is www.thefleamarkets.com