2.03.2010

{ how to wear } vintage furs

i loved reading last week's swide article on anna dello russo. she's become such a style icon thanks to her unforgettable appearances at the international fashion weeks, so it was interesting to hear how she prepares for these public appearances:

"the styling work (is) the same, only done to myself... it's all planned and thought up in advance... i get ready like six months beforehand. i edit the clothes (about 90 outfits for each fashion week). i think of what would look good on camera." - anna dello russo

fascinating, no? if nothing else, it makes me realize how unprepared i am for the new york shows starting next week! as i begin to get ready, i'll be looking to another street style star for inspiration: the captivating catherine baba:

i love the above images from last winter ~ the way she transitioned her accessories throughout a day, moving the belt outside (and to the side) of her fur coat as she got cold.

fast forward a number of months, and it's great to see the way she's worn the very same coat (and sunnies!) to this year's couture collections, tying it this time around with a simple grosgrain ribbon:

i get the feeling that her looks are completely uncalculated. clearly she thinks quite a lot about clothes, but puts them together in an effortless, freewheeling way. a woman who dresses to suit her mood ~ how modern! how divine!

i have an over-the-top vintage ivory fur that i've been wondering how to wear. voila! now i know. and while we're on the topic, i dare you not to want a fluffy (faux?) fur scarf after peeping this pic:

{ photo credits: jak+jil, hanneli, the sartorialist }

44 comments:

natalya said...

wear the chevron-ed mink already!!!!

btw go back stage is the top blog this week on www.ninistyle.net

i've been waiting to share my love for that blog a long time

Madeline Veenstra said...

She's gorgeous! I adore the picture of her on the bike :)

Anonymous said...

I love Catherine Baba she is such and inspiration. I need to have that fur scarf...Majorly chic. xo Mish

www.themishdish.blogspot.com

Diane @ Haute Flashion said...

What serendipity. I just purchased a thrifted faux fur coat earlier this evening. This post has given me some great ideas on how to wear it. Thanks!

Chloe said...

That picture of her on the bike in the fur is too perfect for words- I love it!

Ghost said...

catherine baba is so perfect.
i absolutely love her!

Lipstick Chick said...

Beautiful images. I adore vintage furs--I love how she takes such a glamorous piece and uses it in elegant but care-free ways.

xo,

thelipsticklist.blogspot.com

Sassi said...

love her riding on a bike. looks gorgeous with this style!
X

All Women Stalker said...

I love the photo with her on a bike. She's so well-dressed but still shows a hint of playfulness.

E said...

love the glasses and fur

-Erica
http://allaboutitt.blogspot.com/

Emilie said...

Beautiful pictures!
x
Emilie
http://whatshappeninginmyfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Welcome aboard! Tervetuloa! said...

i adore catherine baba!

Ilona C said...

She is mega! Remember well seeing her on The Sartorialist and loving that pic.

Gio Goi Jackets said...

Great photos! Love their coats! Perfect for Winter!

Gon said...

I really like her a lot. She is so stylish and you're right she gets dressed to suit her mood and that is so divine!

kiss kiss,
www.dimogonda.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

catherine baba is so best! i love the fur and tights and green heels. am making a mental note to work a similar look!!

http://mylittlebehind.blogspot.com/

The Village Idiot said...

she's great!!! i love how she dresses- i would love to rock her style!!

Coco and Zaahb said...

She's just an amazing woman with a KILLER sense of style and fashion awareness


Http://cocozaahb.blogspot.com

zoee said...

She is gorgeous! And what a beautiful coat!

Unknown said...

I'm for both faux and real fur. Belted is always glamourous, but it only works well with some furs. If you like fur of any sort, then you must check out etsy. BTW thanks for sharing Feathers with us. I just purchased a fantastic sequin jacket from there. It's nice when others share. Check my blog out whenever you have a moment.

mishapsandmiracles.blogspot.com

alice said...

I would looove to wear a real fur like that... but they are just so. heavy. I admire anyone who can pull it off- especially on a bike!
A little faux number that is 1/10th the weight suits me just fine!
:)

norawoah said...

I love any woman who perpetuates riding in heels. An inspiration indeed!

Ash Fox said...

wow! my favorite pic is her in the fur on a bike. she is timeless like you.

x

the Citizen Rosebud said...

that is serious style. i love the one of her on the bike. as a bike rider that is such inspiration. i'm gonna make that my screensaver

Rock N Revolution said...

I am a HUGE fan of Anna. Thanks for the link!
I am loving the whole Catherine Baba look too, though not as easy to pull off for most but wonderful to look at.

ENCHANTÉ DARLING said...

6 months to plan and 90 outfits for each fashion week!? wow. i can't even think of what to wear tomorrow. lovely post! catherine the great.. who can resist her?

Sarah said...

Oh thanks so much for the petite lesson and the pictures are so amazing.

The Sound of Lace said...

I love her...she always looks glamorous!

thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
thesoundoflace.blogspot.com
thesoundoflace.blogspot.com

Luxe. said...

True glamour right there.x

Lindsey Jane said...

I have some beautiful fur coats that I inherited from my great aunt, and - maybe it's the hippie subculture where I live - but I'm terrified that if I wear them someone will throw paint on them! Does anyone else ever worry about that? I mean, they're vintage so I don't think it's that bad. Should I just go for it?

Taylor Sterling said...

I love this! I always wonder how to wear furs and lok like I am not trying too hard!! Love it girl!

MissMadeline said...

fur coat + a bike.

luxury + economy.

Unknown said...

Baba is AMAZING!!

Yes, she definitely just "feels" her look versus calculating it...full of spirit and joie de vivre.

Can't wait 2 see picks of how YOU wear your fur(s) during Fashion Week.

Thanks,
-El
http://feelgoodgurustyle.blogspot.com

Sunshine Savvy said...

I LOVE that she wears fur while riding her bike...what a fashionista! Your blog is fantastic!


www.sunshinesavvy.com

Lizzifer said...

Turbans, and furs, and bikes, oh my! Why couldn't she be my fairy godmother?

twentyinsix said...

love love love

Danny said...

i love this woman

Anonymous said...

She is one of my style icons and favorite stylists! I absolutely love her. She always has the most interesting and inspiring outfits. I love your blog and costume of the day posts!

<3

Chelsea'sGirl

www.chelseasgirl.wordpress.com

Crystal said...

Holy shit is she biking in tribs??!?!?!?! Wow, that is ballsy.

Anonymous said...

love baba's outfits!

you should do a post on how to tie a turban like hers!

Thea Beasley said...

Yes, she is amazing. Love that she follows so clearly her own fashion dictum. The latest photo on the Satorialist is beyond.....
I love coming here and knowing that you know of her. And, all the others who have so commented.

prashant said...

I always wonder how to wear furs and lok like I am not trying too hard!! Love it girl!

my lingerie blog

Aline said...

i totally thought of you when i first saw that last photo...so you!!!

TheGlamourai said...

* when this site switched servers, all comments on this post were lost. i sincerely apologize for the inconveniece. your input is important to me and to this blog! *

xoxoGlamourai