9.03.2009

{ all you need } is bling

i think it goes without saying that, these days, most of us are buying rather less than we'd like. the sunny side of it is that we're thinking strategically about where & how we spend, and i think in the end we will be all the more stylish for it.


in the face of economic challenges, fashion is finally catching on to a maxim i have always held: all you really need is shoes and jewels!

keep a few seasonless dresses in your closet ~ pieces that can be worn year-round. as seasons change, add or subtract trendy tights, vintage jackets, etc. then, spend your money on really fun jewelry, and really good quality shoes! usually, you can't wear an expensive dress 10 different ways, but the right accessories can be worn in a new way every day of the week.




if you take a look at my own costumery, it's easy to see what i mean. often i wear simple, seasonless, or super-budget basics, but i make the looks special with what i pile on top and on my toes!



right now, the best things to buy are: patterned, sheer hosiery, a pair of new bejeweled shoes, and perhaps a pretty neckpiece or two!

(images: 'enter the dinner dress' by javier vallhonrat for vogue uk sept 09)

25 comments:

Islandia Lane said...

These photos make a great spread! and the idea of adding glam to the basics is what makes it your own. Living in Miami before, I never wore much more than simple clothes and flip flops or heels at night - it was just too hot to have layers all over my skin but since I've been in NYC (almost 3 years now) I've discovered that I do know how to add the pops of color and baubles here and there and I love walking out of my apt dressed everyday as if the world is my stage. Thanks for always inspiring!

Jade said...

Gorgeous photos! And I definitely agree - it's all about the accessories!

Nx said...

I adore this editorial. So luxurious and oppulent. I'm definitely getting back to my DIY-ing in the midst of the economic challenges.

Katy said...

What an amazing editorial, and sound advice!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Love all these photos- statement jewels are fabulous!

Taylor Sterling said...

I agree with you on this! Accessories really make or break an outfit. Love this editorial!

lynn10w40 said...

the savoir-faire and common sense you deliver here is inspiring and thought provoking.

Aline said...

so true! You have totally inspired me to add more bling to my looks!!!

Rock & Revolution said...

I agree! So much so that I finally completed my Fantasy Bib I have been jonesing to do since I saw your first "Candied Crumbcatcher" DIY. I will be making more for sure. Thanks for the insppiration - and I did post it on my blog ( with a link to yours ).

Ilona said...

Funny...saw these pics the other day in Vogue and IMMEDIATELY thought of YOU!!

dwelling and design said...

These pictures are so inspiring- I have been listing after old jewels and this is almost too much.
Going out to a fancy dinner tonight- this is the perfect inspiration. Great post.

Dream Sequins said...

I would absolutely take a new necklace and a pair of dynamite shoes. We're definitely rethinking our budget Chez Sequins!

Dianne Von Spencer Und Grimaldi said...

I totally agree! Shoes and accessories plus imagination, that's the way to go. I love your blog, you are a very talented lady. I need to spend my $1000 gift certificate at Beverly Hills Louboutin (if only they would have a better selection of shoes) and getting one of your amazing necklaces is next on my list!!

InnyVinny said...

Very, very true. Nothing can change a look more than the use of accessories. It's a great way to try and make the most of what you have in the closet. Wonderful advice.

Brigadeiro said...

Great tips and stunning editorial!!! I have the same magazine on my desk as I type! :)
xx

Style Odyssey said...

i could not agree more.
my solution is that i'm finding new ways to wear what i have, which is really a lot of fun. i'm fortunate to have a large collection of quality shoes, as well as a lot of black. the combinations are endless!

Greg Kessler said...

well said! and gorgeous reference.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie-Louise said...

love this editorial- i did a post about this a little while back. the concept is perfect

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a big fan of your blog and your jewelry (though I have not yet purchased any pieces, I hope to at some point!)

Anways, I just wanted to tell you that I spotted you on pg. 122 of the Sartorialist book! :)

<3Lauren


www.viewfromthevalleyy.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

agree with you on most points. i usually let my clothes do the talking instead of letting accessories jazz things up. they do make the difference - sometimes, they make too much difference. which works nonetheless if that's what the wearer wants. great tips, thanks.

The Barely Tattoo'd Artist said...

Actually, I've been planning on just buying accesories for awhile...everything I have in my closet accessories-wise is atleast three years old and I didn't really put much thought into buying them because I was more preoccuppied with getting my basics...

Now that I have my basics, I'm not really looking for much in clothing, but more into the shoes, necklaces, headbands, and etc...pieces, stuff that I have that are so old, they are falling apart or that I just have worn one too many times...

Here's hoping I'm able to find what I'm looking for...and I just want to thank you for being an inspiration in this sense because that's the first thing I notice about you...you're bling ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, yea the jewlery the stylist added on these looks really makes the whole outfits, I obviously need to invest in some amazing costume jewlery to spice up my life!

Anonymous said...

So true! Accessories is everything!!!

TheGlamourai said...

* when this site switched servers, all comments on this post were lost. i sincerely apologize for the inconveniece. your input is important to me and to this blog! *

xoxoGlamourai