my mom picked up this pretty little dress for me during our recent adventures in mexico. it's a traditional huipil from oaxaca, which typically come in crazy candy colors ~ but mom knew this elegant ivory + navy version would be better suited to my non-vacation days. still, when she bought it, the length came down to my toes; it was my job to make it city-worthy!
since it's been so hot, and a girl always needs more breezy little sundresses, i hauled out the old sewing machine last night and set to work on mi huipil.
first, i chopped 12" off the hem, making it mid-calf length. i didn't cut it any more than that, just in case i ever decide i want to wear it longer and belted. next, i folded the bottom under twice, to bring it up another 10" (and to create it a nice, thick, weighted hem ~ good for added structure and swing).
then, to avoid looking either too 'folksy' or inappropriately 'beachy,' i piled on some city-chic accessories ~ my trusty two-tone sunnies, a new shrimpton couture necklace, and a pair of louboutin lace-ups...
...and voila!
caramel sundae sunnies, miss havisham necklace, vintage bracelet, F21 earrings, reworked huipil from oaxaca, vintage bag, christian louboutin shoes






50 comments:
you must get the glam from your mom, cause she has great taste.
your loubs are beautiful. dear lord.
http://nothingbutapackofcards.blogspot.com/
i love wear such dresses frequently; but have never seen such a great color combination! way to go ruth!!
those louboutin's are delicious.
This is a fabulous idea - I'm going to try it with my housecoats from India!
so CHIC! love ur dress, shoes and jewellery <3! ^^
Your style is so inspiring. It makes me want to do a wardrobe overhaul.
really really cute! it's the perfect length and i love the wide/weighted hem. bravo
What w wonderfull dress, just love it!! And shoes of course.
Visit my blog:
agatiszka.blogspot.com
I don't know anyone who can simply make things work as well as you do. Always very inspiring!
Love how you made this dress work for the city! You look great!
you are so crafty...adore what you did with the dress! you are my fashion idol!
if you have a moment, check out my etsy wednesday post today...if you have not seen this glasses seller before, you are going to freak!
xo
That last photo is perfection. Definitely a classic photo of you. I love everything about this outfit- particularly how the shoes suit the dress. Lovely!
Great idea...India has these long maxi dresses too..very common. I can make them wearable for summer. thanks a lot. Infact, I have some of my mom's which I can alter...great!:)
I just want to let you know that I had my hair colored by Cali last week and today Lenny gave me the best haircut!
They are both very talented and I love my hair.
Thank you so much for the discount.
Ewa
thank you all for the sweet comments!
@ Hanako66: GORGEOUS glasses shop! you always manage to find the best etsy sellers!!!
xoxoGlamourai
@ Ewa: i am SO SO happy to hear that!!! they are both amazing & it is an honor for me to be able to introduce my readers to them.
xoxoGlamourai
What an amazing dress! Brilliant idea to chop it (I'm usually too chicken), it looks fab!!!
xx
Totally gorgeous. Love the Louboutins.
http://betweenlaundrydays.blogspot.com
Stunning! You did a great job hemming it!
It makes me want to go shopping in Mexico! =)
love your bag... its sooo pretty
What the Glamourai didn't say is that she also pedaled around on her cute bicycle in this look! The chicest bike rider I've ever seen!!
Wow. I just found your site, and your taste is impecable and inspirational, but your genious hem treatment is what prompted me to comment. I could never have too many thick-hemmed sun dresses! This outfit has got to be one of your favs now.. it would be one of mine!
Like Karla from Karla's Closet, I'm both intrigued and inspired by your posts...I get anxious inbetween the days from one post to the other...very awesome...
BTW, you helped me get back into painting my nails again...I did it a lot back in high school, but fell out of practice due to fast food jobs...but once I read about your search for the perfect jade color, it made me pull out the collection I have and start painting...thanks!
such a lovely dress
lovely! great idea to keep some length just in case!
I love what you've done with that dress - it looks classy and fabulous. Impeccably accessorized, as always
You are always so perfectly put together and accessorized just right. Love the Louboutin shoes.
This is perfection!
your outfits are perfect, you always look gorgeous! :)
shoeboxgal.blogspot.com
Oh wow everything is super chic in these shots! Love love love :)
XO
http://stylecrumbs.blogspot.com
you made the dress from looking quite boring to very chic looking!
LOVE IT!
if this was lookbook, I would have hyped it!
LOVE THE SHOES
What a gorgeous dress!!!! I love your non-conformist style!
http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com
love this outift
you look gorgeous
This outfit is AMAZING! Have I told you how much I want your shoes? Didn't you have to do something to keep the hem folded up?
@ KD: yeah, i guess i should have been more clear that there was a simple straight stitch involved to keep the hem up, but i assumed the mere mention of the sewing machine implied that fact... anyway, you bring up a good point. i'll try to be more specific next time!!!
xoxoGlamourai
Love the last pic with your hand against the wall. Just a fun expression!
I am so envious of every pair of shoes you own.
you took the huipil to the next level!!!
Love it, looks so chic :)
kisses
Love it! Never thought that style of dress could look so elegant!
love that last shot!
That dress is AMAZING and I love love love the bag!
I'm mexican, I haven't worn a huipil since like 15 years ago! but I think I'll give them another try... I actually have one that I've never worn... totally loved what you did with it!!
PAZ
Sadie
you look stunning! I have just bought similar shoes only in suede and my feet just can't stand them :( what a shame- they look gorgeous but after an hour I can't move in them...
have a lovely day, xoxo
Love the dress! And the whole outfit (:
Peace and love!
i am probably the worlds worst culprit for under accesorising so i really admire what you can do!
just lovely
x
I love the mix between the vintage bag and the expensive shoes.
wow - i absolutely love what you did with this dress! great style! Just found your blog today but will be back often. Like someone earlier said, I feel like reworking my entire wardrobe now. :) thanks for the inspiration!
Hi Glamourai,
My gosh! That dress was so amazing, i am so in love with it! You have reworked it to become so beautiful and looks like it came in like this, a glamourous shift dress. i love what you did and thats what i called Glamoucreative! :D So inspiring! Congratulation!
p/s: your mum was so good, how i wished she would buy me a dress someday..
Post a Comment