8.13.2009

before there were bloggers...

before there were magazines, department stores, or even ready-to-wear clothes...



...before mass production, mass communication, mass assimilation... fashion-minded ladies would select their costume of the day by way of beautifully illustrated, limited edition tailleur catalogues.
weren't they lovely?


23 comments:

JP said...

I love seeing things like this... it makes me smile so much. Even the old catalogs from the 1800s put out by Sears set my heart aflutter.

Thanks for sharing!

Love,
JP
http://denimdebutante.com

Kelly said...

the illustrations are so lovely, as are the clothes. <3

glam.spoon said...

can you imagine how long it took to get your designs out there? I wouldn't survive without my instant gratification!

Colina Terui said...

So glamorous!

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are so fantastic! Just lovely! =)

Beth said...

These are perhaps circa 1910 & I think there were magazines, dept stores & RTW by then. :-) I think that magazines started circulating in the 19th century.

Beth

Susan Jean said...

I love it! I want to go back to the old way ...

Trevor and Lindsay said...

Wow! Where did you find these pics?? Stunning...

muchlove said...

Oh gosh, these are SO beautiful!!

Brigadeiro said...

How lovely indeed! I love the green coat for myself :)
xx

The Barely Tattoo'd Artist said...

The fourth page, in the middle...that's a coat I wouldn't mind running across someday...or one like it...

It's interesting how far clothes have come and sometimes I wonder about what they would be like in the future...don't you?

laundrysoapbubbles.blogspot.com

keenonboys said...

fashion and history, my two favorite things. :D

BaronessVonVintage said...

these are heart-breakingly GORGEOUS!!!! amazing images. thanks for sharing

Emilie said...

Thanks for sharing! Lovely post !

Anonymous said...

Womens' clothes used to be so much more glamourous (sigh). I wish it was still the norm for hats, gloves and pretty dresses to be everyday apparel. Easily beats the current overload of jersey tops and leggings here in the UK.

Katy said...

Loverly indeed! However, if I could choose, I think I'd stick with the convenience of the modern day along with the slubbiness. ;-)

Laura said...

How beautiful they were! It would be very nice if they would do something like these in our days, wouldn't it? :)

ryder said...

these are gorgeous! thank you so much for sharing.

daniel said...

I am just certain that all you lovely ladies could not be happier romping about in such frilly frocks! Particularly you in the pleated-ruff neck! LOVE YOU!

Isabel said...

Life before blogs? Unthinkable!

Just kidding, these are cute.

Tamia said...

The art deco inspired tunics are calling my name. Lovely!

~Tamia

Style Sample Magazine

Lady Thirty said...

lovely illustrations!

Rebecca Jane said...

so lovely - these illustrations are amazing. I wish we still had something like these