6.07.2009

{ costume of the day } salt + pepper

took a little jaunt to the grocery store today, to stock up on pineapples and artichoke gnocchi. here's what i wore:



you know me ~ nothing special ~ i was merely shopping the glamourmarket, mixing flavors & proffering a platter of prints!

if you're beginning to experiment with mixology, black + white is a fantastic place to start ~ it always matches!



the ultimate mix trick? i color-code my closet for max mix mastering. grey is next to grey, and close to black. white's on the other end, and the rainbow stretches in between ~ if two things are close enough in the color spectrum, chances are they'll work together.


vintage sunnies, self-designed earrings, sky creations kimono, F21 dress, vintage bag, custom manolo blahniks (these were made for a fashion show i worked on years ago!)



try it out and send me your best shot!!!

32 comments:

Daphne said...

unbelievable shoes! Oh my goodness. This whole look is fantastic but I can't get over those shoes! I've always been a "by type" closet organizer. But I'm starting to think you're right and I need to switch to colour coding. xo

annie said...

Whoa, is that in red hook? That sign behind you looks very familar to me.

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

@ annie: YES (good calll)!!!! i drove out there today for the magic that is 'fairway' ~ as a new yorker it is a rarity to go to a proper supermarket ~ so i made a day of it!!!

xoxoglam

Unknown said...

"mixology" is EXACTLY the kind of thing i've been trying to work with lately - i get far too matchy-matchy with my pieces, and it's no fun to limit your wardrobe like that!

you are by far the number one inspiration for such mixing, BTW. seriously flawless and i heart you so.

l said...

I might have to reorganize my closet by color. Actually reorganize isn't the right word, it implies that there's any system of organization at all.

Would you post a picture of your color coded closet? I'd like to see such a feat realized.

Damsels said...

amazing like always ,.

iwhsh i could do all of that but i have too much stuff .

but im pretty good at mixology tho :)

Ava said...

GORGEOUS [glamorous! :)] outfit!!! I love the complex prints and how the black and white makes it all so crisp, but what I'm really drooling after are your earrings and those SHOES. Oh my GAWWDDDDDDDDDD they are so beautiful that they definitely deserve a super-tacky "oh my gawwdddd" :D

xx
Ava
http://www.aandhblog.wordpress.com

yves said...

im adoring your KIMONOS!
plush urban!
your mixology is tot'lly wurking ;)

much love
yvestyle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! Every post is such an inspiration! I am with Lea to re-organise my wardrobe would imply that I have some kind of original organisation! Yipes!
However I am motivated to begin. Today! Thanks!
Oh, yeah, drooling over those magnificent shoes too!

Emilie said...

Love this outfit

Ashley said...

wow I am so jealous you have those Manolos, the detail is amazing!!! Great shades too!

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

lynn said...

i am glad to know i am not the only one who 'color codes' her closet. it simplifies things when you're in a hurry and allows you to see everything you own. i have a color wheel (holbein) on my wall in my closet. purple..red, the way stars burn in the cosmos, white, black on opposite ends. i like wearing a triad color scheme. mb shoes look comfy and classy.

Unknown said...

is there a rump on your inside dress or the side shot captured the kimono coat halfway in action in a swirl? the shoes made you look like you're tip-toeing. i love the ear rings too.

Jason said...

love your outfits!

-Jason
http://www.citizencouture.com

Thevisionarybutterfly said...

I admire your imagination for dressing and shopping, Where do you shop for clothing if I may ask?

Hélène Heath said...

Wow those shoes!!!

Jennifer Fabulous said...

That kimono is FAB!! Love your outfit. So cute.

Miss Dexter said...

Love the shoes!!

Gisela and Maury said...

FIERCE!!!
xo!
-Gisela
www.heightsoffashion.typepad.com

Katy said...

Awesome outfit and amazing setting! Pray tell, where did you take these photos?

Eyeliah said...

My commets as always the same praise; you look stunning, omg, saving this to my inspiration folder. :-)

THE GLAMOURAI: said...

@ tom tuttle: the kimono is actually just that big! the ruffle on the bottom makes it stand like that all the time.

@ ms. butterfly: i shop a lot at sample sales (in new york, there are so many it just makes sense). i love a designer discount!'

xoxoglam

Cruz said...

Great outfit to go grocery shopping in haha, hey I saw you in the LA times congrats! :)

annie said...

@ glamourai
I work down the street at a Butter by Nadia, on the corner of van brunt and van dyke. The fairway is so awesome! They have the best fruit and they carry milka & kinder chocolate. My hungarian friend used to bring me some from europe when she would visit her family- it blew my mind when i saw it there!

daniel said...

Closet? Singular? Don't you mean closets, garment racks, body forms, vaults and fur storage apparatus??

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a post of your closet.
Love your style. You are quite an inspiration even for those of us who work in conservative settings.
Oh, and by the way, your jewelry is spectacular! You are glamourific!

Hadley said...

ok, i officially want to be you. your wardrobe, your hair...AH! i am so happy to have met your blog!

Amber Lucas A Mused Blog said...

good heavens this is amazing.

Chapstick Kills said...

Im going to steal your sunnies.

www.nonamenothings.blogspot.com

Rebecca Jane said...

love the outfit, but those shoes! Are GORGEOUS. Stunning.

Diana said...

You have the best collection of shoes and these are are absolutely beautiful! Well done on working on creating these lovelies! xx SnipsandSnippets

Mairyliscious said...

ARE YOU A MODEL!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!