1.28.2009

desperado

every monday, i check new york magazine's webpage to see their latest look book subject, and this week's ordinary luminary, working class hero jimmy "pearl" fontaine, did not disappoint! only in new york do corrections officers look like this:


do you think those are house or cell keys hooked to his beltloop? ah well, not much difference in this town!
seriously though, i'm all for a joplin/jagger love-child manning the NYC clink, especially when said spawn looks straight off the pages of conde nast's latest edition of their annual fashion rocks supplement, the highlight of which was a janis-inspired story shot by craig mcdean:




the look of this shoot also recalls a living lounge legend - musician, producer, writer and artist jennifer herrema, the modern day queen of garbage-glamour:

14 comments:

FutureLint said...

ooh, yes! lovely!

Anonymous said...

im certainly less for technicolor, but i always somehow liked racoon tails ^^ dunno never been a great fan of the seventies' style and always preferred to alter the looks into something more modern-bohemian. which im no good at so actually im not wearing looks like these so much anyway. im a bit torn about whether you pull the embellished jeans off, because i truly believe no one really can. denimembellishments in any kind or form are some sort of no go for me.

Anonymous said...

the man has some serious jack sparrow-vibes coming from the close-up picture. I like.

Anonymous said...

yes.

July Stars said...

I did a post recently on J Herrema: she is a believable vision of cool and a compelling favourite on my list of rock n' roll style heroes! I say "yes" to expressing yourself the Joplin way! More of those looks please!
PS: Word verification thing, ratfee? I like it...

Anonymous said...

i vote yes to raccoon tails, joplin and the spiny looking fringe on the buff pants from fashion rocks.

i usually vote no on patched jeans of any flavor, or at least that they be deployed with extreme satorial caution. that said i think your giant brooch saves the day.

Katy said...

I, too, saw that "Look Book" entry and loved it. Yes to this style! However, I agree with kaliber on the jeans. That said, you look amazing. :-)

Tamia said...

Uncharacteristically (of me), I now completely support patched/torn/embellished denim for the first time since 1992.

This may have something to do with the fact that I recently unearthed jeans that I wore...in 1992.

I will wear them again!

Anonymous said...

Do it, I think you could definately work the 70s rock godess look. You have to go all out with it though, all or nothing!

Eyeliah said...

I swear I have the same shawl as this cool dude.
Here: http://i15.tinypic.com/7wprsr4.jpg

Anonymous said...

I read your blog all the time and absolutely adore it along with your style! That said, something about your outfit today is not working for me...the daisy perhaps. The contrast between men's wear and hippy jeans doesn't work so much either. It's too obvious or something...it doesn't really look original as much as it looks like a teenager who hasn't learned yet how to coordinate her clothes yet in a chic way...not that that's what I think of you. No hard feelings?

Rosa said...

Oh its been so long since ive seen this style ad felt ispired by it, however i always look at it and kind of wish i wanted to wear it! I think you of all people can pull it off, i read your blog all the time and have to admit you a big insipiration! (i even mentioned you in my last post and used a photo of you from the the satorialist, sorry!) Thanks for blogging regularly and being so god damn good! x

LF said...

Those photos were great, I remember seeing them splashed all over. I love your giant daisy with blazer!

Anonymous said...

Yes!! Destroyed and altered denim in its many forms has always one of my absolute weaknesses. I'd love to see your collection as I know it would be to DIY for.

www.shinylittlethings.com